It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-26-2009   #1 (permalink)
stclajm

Question Sick kitty on Sumatra

I am an American expat living in a remote area on the island of Sumatra. We adopted a feral female tabby last week. She is approximately 3 months old and has turned out to be a real sweetie. This morning, we noticed that her third eyelids were showing, but no discharge and she started having loose bowels. We have no vet care here other than the vet staff we fly in from Jakarta twice a year. One of my friends in camp gave me eye ointment for conjuntivitis, and antibiotics as well as an anti-diarrheal medication. We're doing the shotgun approach. She slept most of the day, but this evening seems to have perked up. At this point, her skin is not tenting, so she doesn't appear to be dehydrated. Any suggestions?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-26-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum !

Thank you for taking in a tabby kitten. My Princess was also a DSH tabby, used to be a feral too... You can see her in my profile album or my gallery at Cats Pictures section.

I'm not familiar with this sickness, I hope other members here could come up with some useful answers for you.

If there is infection in her eye which was caused by scratches ... try to soothe it by washing the affected eye with cold strong black tea... (gently wipe using soft cloth)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 07-26-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome and thank you for rescuing this stray baby!

The third eyelid showing indicates intestinal distress.

This is probably being caused by a change in diet.

Don't use the eye medications or anti-diarrheals on her, old medicines, or medicines prescribed for other animals, or human medicine should never be used on cats.

The best thing to do for her is to start adding a pro biotic to her diet every day as she adjusts to her new healthy diet.

probiotic such as pro bios, benebac or simply an acidophilus capsule sprinkled over her food.

If none of those are available a finger full of yogurt every day for a week or so will do the same thing.

I think this will do the trick.

Unread 07-26-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Thanks Acer ! I was hoping you would see this post !
You're simply the best !!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
adopted , antibiotics , art , baby , black , care , cats , cold , diet , eye , female , feral , food , friends , healthy , infection , kitten , kitty , morning , pictures , profile , sick , sickness , stray , suggestions , tabby , vet

Sponsored Cat Links