It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-05-2009   #11 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

Jan, when Ripley was a kitten she often used to 'attack' my hands and feet but never breaking my skin with her teeth (her claws were a different matter!). She still does fight with my hand (she's 5 now) but it's in a playful way, more of a nibbling or nipping than a bite. She can be really affectionate but it's always on her terms and she can be very grumpy. I know the person we got her from well & I know four other people who have kittens from the same mother so I don't think it's because she has had any bad experiences as a very young kitten. Is Jonesy an 'only' cat? I only ask as we've never had this problem with Newt & I wonder if it's because she's had Ripley to practise her fighting skills on while Ripley perfected her technique on my poor hands & feet as there wasn't another cat around. Having said that Newt is a very placid, affectionate cat so it could just come down to personality. Looks like you got a feisty one there! Helen
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-05-2009   #12 (permalink)
Cool Cat

chooch is on a distinguished road

hi helen, sorry its took me so long to reply, im new to forums so im not very good at it yet, yeah jonesy is a single cat, my last cat had my older cat to play with when she was a kitten, so i know wot you are saying there, its hard to remember what they are like at this age, but she is never bored, there is always someone in my house, as my husband cannot go out due to health problems, and i have two grown up daughters at home, and they are always playing with her. Maybe in a couple of months i will be raving about wot a friendly cat she is, i hope !!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-06-2009   #13 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Hi ! Welcome aboard ! I read through your posts and find it really amusing. Yes, I have one here who 'was ' once a biter... she's my dear Princess Tiger. So I think I know what's going on with your little darling Jonesy there. Oh, yes, before I continue - let me admit- I already fell in love with her pretty face - eyes especially ! Hehe !
But I must agree with Shazzy, give it time and this stage of kittenhood will soon fade. My Princess' stage of kittenhood faded too. I just continued to interact with her, playing with her - only did not use my hands or feet. I use toys as an object of interaction (bonding). She soon forgot to bite xxLOLxx
And when I pet her, when she wants me to, I'll insist that she doesn't bite. If she does, I will just stop and ignore her, by walking away... She understands me very well. Will always come to be stroked or petted. Her favorite bonding with me is sucking my finger like a pacifier, so I had to train her not to bite, if she did, I would not let her suck my finger ... so in order for her not to lose her pacifier, she would tolerate.. hehe !!
She is now 20 months old, still love to suck her pacifier without biting AT ALL !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 08-06-2009   #14 (permalink)
Cool Cat

well thanks thats good to know, i think she is getting tamer by the day lol, she has lots of funny habits like running around with toys in her mouth and hiding them up her cat tower, im sure she thinks she is a leopard he he, ..... jan
Unread 08-06-2009   #15 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

Sounds like she's going to be very cheeky & lots of fun! My cats run around with their toys in their mouths & hide them. I find them all over the place, in the sink, in their water bowl & in my shoes! She is very lucky little Jonesy to have all that attention. Don't worry about the late reply, I'm also new to forums and there's a lot to be distracted by on this one!

Helen
Unread 08-08-2009   #16 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

My Lady Fergie is the only one here who will be running around with toys in her mouth, even tossing the toys up in the air, and catch it again with her paws if not her mouth... before hiding them every where. All my cats know well how to hide the toys for me to get busy searching the entire house !!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 08-09-2009   #17 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

It's not a behavior to encourage, coz it will stick with her for the rest of her life if it is.

Your kitten was taken away from her mum and siblings a bit too early, because it is after week 6 they learn how to behave from their mum. The mum and littermates teach them not to bite or scratch, usually. They learn so during playtime, when the kittens are rough with each other. Then they'll know how it feels being bitten or scratched.
Kittens should be taken away from their mum after week 10 or preferably 12. I know they often are taken away earlier, and that's also why many kittens bite, scratch or have other behavioral problems. As stated earlier, kittens do play rough, but they are usually taught by their littermates to not be so rough.

That being said, I got my cat at the age of 19 weeks, and she was a biter too. She never bit through the skin (it was still very annoying though) and she never scratched me. You should never play with your cat using your hands. Always use toys! Or else they will see your hands as toys. I did what Irene did. I ignored her if she wanted to bite me.

Now, this last month, it's going much better. It took me a lot of time. She's now 8.5 months old.

Goodluck!
Unread 08-09-2009   #18 (permalink)
Cool Cat

hello katrine, i asked the vet if she was too young to be without her mother and the vet said six weeks was fine because the mother becomes impatient with them and will swat them to make them independant, but i think its just a lot to do with personality, she is a very bold kitten, lol
Unread 08-09-2009   #19 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

Quote:
Originally Posted by chooch View Post
hello katrine, i asked the vet if she was too young to be without her mother and the vet said six weeks was fine because the mother becomes impatient with them and will swat them to make them independant, but i think its just a lot to do with personality, she is a very bold kitten, lol
Yes, they'll be fine. They wont need more milk. Still they need her to teach them how to behave and making them become more independent is a part of that process as well.
I don't doubt you're a good owner, I hope you know that. I just wish more people were aware of this and I always mention it if I have the opportunity
Unread 08-09-2009   #20 (permalink)
Cool Cat

PantherPride is on a distinguished road

Agreed

Teaching a new kitten to bite and claw people is as dangerous long term to the cat as letting children play in the street or with fire.

Tags
advice , affectionate , age , another cat , attack , behavior , behaviour , bite , bites , biting , cat , cats , children , claws , defensive , eyes , fight , fighting , fire , friendly , great , hey , hiding , home , house , kitten , kittens , lost , love , mat , new kitten , person , personality , pet , play , playing , problem , problems , profile , scared , scratch , shoes , siblings , small , stop , toys , type , vet , worry

Sponsored Cat Links