It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-05-2009   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

chooch is on a distinguished road
Default scratching and biting

ive had my kitten since she was six weeks and she is now four months old, the problem is that she was biting and scratching a lot when i brung her home, since then i have been doing the usual things to stop this behaviour, there has been some improvement, but unless she is tired or has just woke up, she will not let you stroke her or pick her up, all my previous cats have been very affectionate since the start so im a bit lost as to what to do next, one of my cats was very affectionate and didnt like being picked up so this is not a problem, but when u really need to pick them up, like if she is trying to chew electrical wires or she jumps up near the cooker etc, its not great when she sinks her teeth into your hands, i have ignored the biting and stratching behaviour, or i hiss at her and walk away, and i have never used my hands when i play with her. I got her from a home where there was small children, so maybe she has been squeezed by a toddler, or could it be that when she is past the teething stage that she will stop biting, any suggestions would be appreciated, jan
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-05-2009   #2 (permalink)
Kitten

Shazzy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Shazzy

Kittens play aggressively because that's what comes naturally to them, they can have their moments lol.

It is part of a normal kitten's development to play aggressively because they are learning the hunting and defensive skills that a wild cat would need to survive, but she will soon grow out of it

And teething only fuels the biting even more sorry to say

do you play with her alot? wats her name?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
$hAzZy

*~BeRt~* *~GrAcE~* *~JeZ~*
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-05-2009   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

hi shazzy thanks for reply, her name is jonesy, and i play with her tons! yeah i know wot u are saying about the kitten stage, but i have had cats for over 30 years and none of them have been quite as psycho as jonesy!, but saying that she is learning, she has started to wake me up in the morning licking and rubbing on my face, so she is starting to get a bit more affectionate, she is not a wee monster all the time, lol, ....jan
Unread 08-05-2009   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

Jonesy conpensates her evil with her adorable and innocent face lol

If you play with her alot using your hand, say like 'catch my finger!' then i would try to limit it as it normally end in a bloody finger

I must admit, when my cats were kittens they never went psycho on me, they were very affectionate, but every cat is different

do you think that feeding her a tasty bit of meat or other treat from ur hand might assosiate your hand as something not to attack, like the old saying;

Bite the hand that feeds you, the bitten hand with leave you

$hAzZy

Unread 08-05-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

I've never had a cat who bites or scratches, so can't offer any advice - but some forum members swear by Feliway, either plug ins or spray, it calms them down apparently. I know you can also get one type of Feliway that you rub on your hands prior to handling your cat and it's meant to make it easier. Having said that I bought some of it when Sasha was younger as she was scared of being picked up (not aggresive tho) but the scent seemed to scare her even more

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Unread 08-05-2009   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Smile

yeah i feed her treats from my hand and she grabs the food and runs away! she is cute but she has a right cheeky look on her face in that picture lol
Unread 08-05-2009   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

well, give it time and this stage of kittenhood will soon fade

keep persisting with interaction, not smoothing or playing with her would only make it worse, i wish the best for both of you

p.s, do u have anymore pics of the little monster? hehehe, i love kittens

$hAzZy

Unread 08-05-2009   #8 (permalink)
Cool Cat

yeah i have just posted some more pictures on my album which is on my profile...
Unread 08-05-2009   #9 (permalink)
Cool Cat

im sure she will grow out of it, and its very easy to forgive her anyway lol
Unread 08-05-2009   #10 (permalink)
Kitten

...say no more! lol

$hAzZy

Tags
advice , affectionate , age , another cat , attack , behavior , behaviour , bite , bites , biting , cat , cats , children , claws , defensive , eyes , fight , fighting , fire , friendly , great , hey , hiding , home , house , kitten , kittens , lost , love , mat , new kitten , person , personality , pet , play , playing , problem , problems , profile , scared , scratch , shoes , siblings , small , stop , toys , type , vet , worry

Sponsored Cat Links