It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-15-2009   #11 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

ps, the wet treat on nose trick works with ear drops, eye care, anything really,even nail trims! the idea is, 1)she associates the nastiness with something good, and 2) she's so busy licking her nose she forgets about the there stuff.

Are the ear drops tresaderm? My Mazy cat loves having her ears rubbed, and never sees to mind getting the ear drops, even though they are cold from the fridge. Lucky me, as even afetr 4 1/2 years of socializing, she still does not tolerate a lot of messing about!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-16-2009   #12 (permalink)
Newborn

kate58 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
HI Kate! Welcome to the forum. I have three special needs cats, and recently lost a fourth to stroke, and she had seven disorders and took medicines 8 times a day, plus got sub q fluids, four times a week, and two shots every 1o days.

So I have a ton of experience with medication and other skills of special care.
Okay, now I don't feel like this should be so tough. I'm very grateful for your post, although I realize it was paid for through some serious challenges. Sorry to hear of the loss of your fourth one.

Quote:
Kneel on the floor with your feet crossed behind you. Hold kitty between your knees facing out. This way she cannot back away from you, she just backs right in! .

With cat in position (as described above) hold pill in one hand, pry open mouth with other, poke pill in, toward side of mouth and as far back as you can. While still holding her with left hand, get a bit of yogurt (or mayo or...) on your finger and put a dot on her nose., She will lick off the yogurt and swallow, pill and all.

this can work with liquids too.
That's a new one to me - makes sense, I will try it. What do you do with the front paws/claws?

Quote:
What is the medication? Some pills (baytril for instance) are very bad tasting. For those it helps to put the pill into a plain empty gel capsule. gel caps go down easier too.
It is a topical ear treatment, Mometamax. The prescription I have is once daily for 10 days. I don't think this stuff creates any discomfort in itself, other than tickling a little when it goes down the ear canal. Then... sweet relief - no more itching. The few treatments I have managed to give her have helped a lot. But I'll remember this if I ever have to give her a pill.

Do you have much experience with cats that run from you as though you're a serial cat-killer any time you come towards them? Sometimes, just catching her is more than half the problem.

Thanks again, very much, for the tips!
Kate
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-17-2009   #13 (permalink)
Newborn

kate58 is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks acerIt - It worked!

AcerIt, your tip about the mayonnaise worked! I don't even have to try to restrain her when I shoot the medicine down her ear, because she's too preoccupied with the mayo to notice what I'm doing.

I'm sure it will be quite another matter if/when the time comes I have to give her pills, but I'm very grateful for the clever idea.

She's confined to one room for the duration, the one she spends most of her time in anyway, with food, water, and a litter box. Kinda like a hotel room with room service - can't beat that! She's finally starting to be her usual happy self again.

Thanks again!
Kate

Tags
affectionate , age , babies , box , care , cat , cat pictures , catching , cats , cold , confined , cute , dogs , eye , found , friendly , hey , home , infection , joy , kitties , kitty , licking , lost , loving , lucky , lynx point , mat , medical , new to this , nose , photos , pictures , pill , pills , profile , question , shelters , siamese , struggle , tabby , upload

Sponsored Cat Links