It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-31-2010   #11 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

If you have a Brita filter by all mean continue to give him that water.

I don't know what your water is like, is it city water? The Brita will take out all the yucky chemical tastes (but will not remove any minerals, if any have gotten by the city's filters) so Moses will be likely to drink more.

Male cats are more prone to Urinary Tract problems because a male cat's urethra is very narrow. A blockage can come on suddenly, and is fatal if ER treatment is not given in about 24 hours. And terribly painful.

Fish and seafood contain higher amounts in things like phosphorous, magnesium and ash (and possibly mercury) which might not be a problem for most healthy cats, but for a cat with a propensity for forming crystals or stones it can be a very serious problem. It's best just to avoid them, or no more than once a week.

Canned food is better for cats for quite a few reasons, and Blue Buffalo is a good brand. It is what I may be turning to if Tolly's Innova Flex Chicken and Brown Rice Stew gets messed with by Proctor and Gamble (they bought out the small family owned Nutura company a few months ago)

Anyway, cats do not have a high thirst drive, so most do not drink enough water to keep them well hydrated on a dry diet. A cat who is well hydrated all his life may be less likely to have problems with kidney failure as he ages.

Extra moisture from the canned diet is also beneficial at keeping urinary tract problems from surfacing. You can even add a little water to each serving, getting even more into him!

A cat on a canned diet is also, in most cases, less likely to gain too much weight. For one thing, canned food cannot be free fed, so you control how much he gets. A high quality canned food usually has less carbs than any kibble.

A high quality kibble can be used as treats instead of commercially sold treats. Much healthier than treats full of cereals and preservatives and artificial flavors.

Another benefit of schedule feeding a canned diet is personal. Meal times can become cherished bonding times for you and Moses. My cats all have their little quirks and requirements and behaviors and rituals at meal times. It's priceless time spent with them and helps develop their personalities.

Last edited by acerlt; 07-31-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-01-2010   #12 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

That's terrible that Proctor and Gamble bought out Innova. They also bought out the company that makes Nioxin shampoo for people whose hair is falling out. Usually when a big company buys out a small one, the quality goes WAY DOWN. BTW, where do you find Blue Buffalo canned food? I only have seen their dry food at Petco.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-01-2010   #13 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntKitty View Post
That's terrible that Proctor and Gamble bought out Innova. They also bought out the company that makes Nioxin shampoo for people whose hair is falling out. Usually when a big company buys out a small one, the quality goes WAY DOWN. BTW, where do you find Blue Buffalo canned food? I only have seen their dry food at Petco.
Yes, I was very upset when I heard the news. P&G have signed a contract that they will not change the formula of the Innova, Evo and California Naturals products for two years. However I know they can get around that by using cheaper ingredients. The same formula, but lower quality of that formula. Tolly will know the difference.

I am stocked up on an pre-buy out batch, that will keep me going for another month, but will be going to get a few cans of a new batch this week at the Feed&Seed. Before I run out of the old, because if he won't eat it I will need the old food to transition him, and pray he will eat the Blue Buffalo.

There is a Central Tractor here that carrier Blue Buffalo. They don't have a very big selection, but will order in the flavor I want by the case. Tolly likes chunk or shredded chicken. They didn't have any of the flavor I am planning to try for him (if needed) and I didn't want to order a whole case, if he won't eat it.

I'll see if the manufacturer will send me a sample or two. In fact if Tolly does like it I might just add it into his rotation of his other two foods he likes.

OP: sorry for the thread drift.
Unread 08-01-2010   #14 (permalink)
Kitten

Zipfelmuetze is on a distinguished road

I got my canned Blue Buffalo at Petsmart. I think there are a lot of good foods sold at Pet Food Express, but I haven't done much research on them.
Unread 11-05-2010   #15 (permalink)
Newborn

Bamdat is on a distinguished road

Hi there; As far as the litter is concerned, many cats pefer 'finer grained' litter as larger, sharper bits can irritate their pads - especially true of 'indoor' cats who don't go outside much and kittens which have more sensitive feet.

With regard to milk, cow's milk is not ideal for cats but it won't harm them. You can get 'Cat Milk' from many supermarkets and some pet shops. This is nutritionally the same as the cat's mother's milk.

I live in the UK and in my area the tap water is pefectly drinkable, but is fairly heavily chlorinated. Cats are extremely sensitive to flavors, and if your water has a 'taste' then bottled water might be an option - the main thing is for him / her to have a pentiful supply.

My wife and I have had cats for 34 years and are going out today to collect two more! Hope I've been some help. You can email me if you like on 'bamdat@googlemail.com'

All the best

Tags
art , baby , baking soda , bladder , blue eyes , box , brown , canned food , care , carpet , cat , cat food , catnip , cats , diet , dog , dry food , eyes , fiber , food , free , fur , home , hurt , kitten , kitty , litter , litter box , male , mat , morning , mouse , nervous , neutering , opinion , pet , pet food , petsmart , play , poop , problems , scratch , scratching , siamese , small , smart , spayed , transition , vet , wet food , won't eat

Sponsored Cat Links