It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-28-2010   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Zipfelmuetze is on a distinguished road
Talking I have a lot to learn!

I would like recommendations on cat litter.
I purchased a huge bag of Tidy Cats for now since it looks promising with it's claim of minimal dust and odor control.

And...

What cat food is the best? I have a Pet Food Express and a PetSmart near me.

I am going to look at a cat tomorrow evening, and if I like it I'm taking it home. The lady will let me have it for free. He is a 4 month old Siamese. = )
He is not neutered, so I am seriously considering doing this, since even my male rat is neutered. I'm looking for the cheapest location to have a cat neutered.
^_^ I'm quite excited!... Yet nervous... What are the essentials for a cat? I purchased a litter box (poop scoop and mat), scratch post, catnip toy, and bowls.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-28-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cool
AK49BWL is on a distinguished road

Hmm. I'd say a good brush, to keep his fur in top shape... Other than that you seem to be covered. Others will chime in with food choices, as I don't have much of a knowledge base on that.

Although I have to ask; where are you getting the kitten? As a rule I'd say, even before bringing him home, take him to a vet and have him checked up on everything, vaccinated, etc. It's just safe practice. And make sure you can afford anything that might go wrong.
Unread 07-28-2010   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Chatty
courtney&griffin is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to courtney&griffin Send a message via twitter to courtney&griffin

Good morning!

As far as food goes, I would suggest Blue Buffalo. There's a TON of essential nutrients as well as their "life source bits". It's got no byproduct & it's got DHA and all the other things a baby kitty needs. It comes in chicken & brown rice along with I think salmon. You can get a big bag for around $20 or a smaller bag for around $10. I get the smaller bag and it lasts me a month with 3 feedings a day.

As far as litter goes, I've been testing out different ones as well. So far my top choice is tied between the Fresh Step with carbon in lavender scent and Exquisicat premium white cat litter with baking soda. The Fresh Step clumps, where the Exquisicat does not, but they're about even in oder control. The Exquisicat is significantly cheaper though. It's about $3 for a 20lb bag.

I would get your kitty something to play with. I HIGHLY suggest Play-N-Sqeak's Monkey Mouse. It's my cat's absoloute favorite toy. In fact, I think we're going to have to get one for the dog also, he loves it! You just tap it & it makes a squeaking noise. It's not very loud, so it's not terribly annoying. I got mine on sale for $4.

I would 100% recommend getting him/her neutered/spayed. Sometimes it can be detrimental to their health to be left unspayed/neutered. I would go to Banfield. I have a wellness plan as well as insurance on my cat through them. The wellness plan is about $130 to start and $25 a month and it include all shots, deworming, preventive care, etc. The premium plan (the $25/month one) also includes the neuter/spay. All you have to pay for is the medication, which with the plan is 10% off. They also have a more inexpensive basic plan that's about $4 less, but it does not cover the neuter.

Good luck with your soon to be furbaby! Let me know how everything turns out xoxo!

"A man who carries a cat by the tail learns
something he can learn in no other way."
- Mark Twain

Last edited by courtney&griffin; 07-28-2010 at 10:51 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 07-28-2010   #4 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

Blue Buffalo or Wellless Core dry food and DEFINITELY ALSO WET FOOD--my cats eat Wellness Wet food.... I give each one 1/4 ofa 6 oz. can with 1/4 cup water mixed in really good every morning and the same thing every evening. So that way they are getting at least a half cup water a day, plus the water in the wet food and the water they drink from their bowls. It is EXTREMELY important to get enough water because cats have a tendency to get bladder and kidney problems otherwise. And definitely get the kitty neutered. Good luck with your furbaby. Oh, regarding litter, it is not which litter YOU like, but ultimately which litter YOUR CAT likes. I have tries several types, and my cats prefer Fresh step multiple cat clumping litter. I've tried Feline Pine, Worlds Best, Tidy Cats, Pet Central and Preferred Pet and my cats throw all the litter onto the floor and urinate on the bath mat when using those litters. They seem to like Fresh Step Clumping--the particles are smaller than some other litters and probably don't hurt their paws so much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Unread 07-29-2010   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

Alrighty my cat is home now and staying in my bedroom for now. He is such an attention whore! I wanted to do my homework around him so that I could keep him company, but he kept stepping on my book and papers. LOL.
He has the greatest personality and wonderful blue eyes! I will take pictures tomorrow.
The lady I got him from said she was feeding him Purina. I will buy a small bag of that stuff tomorrow and will slowly switch to Blue Buffalo. Do you switch up the flavoring on the dry food? Sometimes Salmon sometimes chicken? Or do you see what the cat likes best?
Unread 07-29-2010   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Chatty
courtney&griffin is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to courtney&griffin Send a message via twitter to courtney&griffin

I keep mine on chicken. Some cats oddly enough don't like fish flavored morsels. Everyone/thing likes chicken, it's like full proof If you're going to switch him, I suggest you get a small bag of both and slowly start mixing them together. Add more and more of the Blue until it's all Buffalo Blue. It'll keep his tummy from getting sick. Also, if you're planning on sticking with dry food (in my opinion, it's better for their teeth), then I would suggest mixing in some warm water with one or two meals a day. Often times cats don't ingest enough water throughout the growing process as well as their lives and suffer from bladder & kidney issues.

Also as a side note, please whatever you do, don't feed your cat IAMS. Just sayin'...

"A man who carries a cat by the tail learns
something he can learn in no other way."
- Mark Twain
Unread 07-29-2010   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

Moses meows when he eats his food out of the bowl. It sounds kind of like a gargle since his mouth will be full. I hope that means he is enjoying the food.

He also likes to claw all the time. He is still in the bedroom so he will claw the sheets, the carpet, my pants. Is there anything I can do to teach him not to do this? He has a scratching post that he has tried out, but he pretty much claws at stuff wherever he is.

We decided to get him taste of the wild food.
Unread 07-30-2010   #8 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

I had a problem with my cats scratching stuff too. Even though I made tall (4 1/2 foot) scratching post with a double thick base so it won't topple, and a nice perch on top, the cats still scratched my wicker hamper and other stuff. Someone on this forum suggested I get scratching posts made with sisal fiber (not the ones with sisal ROPE). Sisal fiber looks like the back of carpeting. The scratching post I made for them was carpeted with regular rug material. Anyway, I got the sturdy sisal one and I went up to it and scratched it with my nails to show them what i is for, and they immediately started using it. I praised them and gave them treats every single time they used it. I also bought Sticky Paws which is double-sided tape and I put it over all the places the cats would scratch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Unread 07-31-2010   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipfelmuetze View Post
I would like recommendations on cat litter.
I purchased a huge bag of Tidy Cats for now since it looks promising with it's claim of minimal dust and odor control.

And...

What cat food is the best? I have a Pet Food Express and a PetSmart near me.

I am going to look at a cat tomorrow evening, and if I like it I'm taking it home. The lady will let me have it for free. He is a 4 month old Siamese. = )
He is not neutered, so I am seriously considering doing this, since even my male rat is neutered. I'm looking for the cheapest location to have a cat neutered.
^_^ I'm quite excited!... Yet nervous... What are the essentials for a cat? I purchased a litter box (poop scoop and mat), scratch post, catnip toy, and bowls.
Yes, please do get Moses neutered and soon. Looking at his pictures in his album I have to say that he looks a lot older than four months. Does his urine stink yet? If not then he has not sexually matured yet, but you want to get the neutering done very soon.

Feed a high quality canned food, and NO FISH FLAVORS. My recommendations are Innova Flex, Natura, and Wellness grain free canned foods. (wellness is higher in calories than some others, so keep that in consideration when feeding)

You are going to love living with a cat. By the way, he needs a bigger sturdier post than the one in your pictures. He needs something he can climb and jump on and stretch out to scratch on.

Can't wait to hear more about Moses!

Last edited by acerlt; 07-31-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Unread 07-31-2010   #10 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
Feed a high quality canned food, and NO FISH FLAVORS. My recommendations are Innova Flex, Natura, and Wellness grain free canned foods. (wellness is higher in calories than some others, so keep that in consideration when feeding)
Oh oh, I've been feeding him Blue Buffalo in all of the different flavors. Why do you discourage fish flavors?

I also was wondering about the cat milk that is sold. Should cats really drink milk at all? I've been giving him the BRITA filtered water instead of tap water, or is tap water fine?

Tags
art , baby , baking soda , bladder , blue eyes , box , brown , canned food , care , carpet , cat , cat food , catnip , cats , diet , dog , dry food , eyes , fiber , food , free , fur , home , hurt , kitten , kitty , litter , litter box , male , mat , morning , mouse , nervous , neutering , opinion , pet , pet food , petsmart , play , poop , problems , scratch , scratching , siamese , small , smart , spayed , transition , vet , wet food , won't eat

Sponsored Cat Links