It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-11-2011   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

cowgirlc is on a distinguished road
Default Hello From Texas, Not a cat owner but need help

Hi everyone, my name is Cynthia and I live in Texas outside of Dallas. Sorry I am not a Cat owner, as a matter of fact I have always been afraid of cats, not sure why. I am a Yorkie owner and I love and have a natural respect for animals. I joined this forum seeking some direction. My hubby repairs and sells computers and laptops and yesterday, I went to pick up a computer and met two of the most wonderful ladies, a mother and daughter that I have met in a very long time. They have been rescuing cats since 2005, and currently have 21 cats in their home. Both are retired and volunteer at the local shelter as well. They gave me a tour of their home; by the way they also have 4 dogsā€¦.lol. I got to see a room filled with beds, toys litter trays, food igloo's etc, as well as an outside area with a cat fence. Mind you the cats are all indoor cats and roam freely about the house. All of them are up to date on shots and spayed as well, and each has a record indicating their arrival date and any and all care provided. The home was very comfortable and cozy and I was impressed it really touched my heart to see this. And one of the ladies held my hand as she guided it towards one of the cats, and for the first time in my 50+ years, I touched a cat. It was awesome, she was very soft but I was still a bit nervous.

The reason for this long introduction, is to give you an idea of the ladies I am speaking of, they run the rescue on their own with no financial help from anyone out of their own pocket. What I would like to do is help them to get a little more exposure so that they have a better outlet to find homes for the cats when they become ready to be adopted. They do go to Pet smart on some weekends as a way to find homes, but I want to help the maybe post some pictures online on pet finders or something like that.

So what I am seeking here is any suggestions as to how I can go about helping these wonderful ladies, find loving cat lovers willing to treat their cats as a member of the family. I really don't know where to start, I guess you could say I did a search and found you guys and so I am starting here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And to the administrators of this group, I hope I have not violated any rules by posting this, just not sure how to start and want to help. My yorkie Gizmo is my world and is treated like a little king, so I am sure there are cat lovers who consider their babies as jewels as well.

Thank you all so very much for reading

Cynthia a/k/a Cowgirlc
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-12-2011   #2 (permalink)
Newborn

Good morning....wow not one hello, ok...well thank you all for reading, I shall try to find another site, have a good day all!

Cynthia
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 02-12-2011   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cool
AK49BWL is on a distinguished road

Sorry... This forum is not as active as it may look, lol. Welcome to the forum. And no, no rules were violated when you posted this

As for helping.. Pictures of the cats, and posting ads on Craigslist would be a really good start if they're not doing that already.. You'd be amazed at just how many people use Craigslist when looking for pets. And the fact that all the cats are fixed and up-to-date on everything is a fantastic incentive to adopt from there rather than some kitten mill someplace. Pictures on PetFinder, also a great idea!

It's great that you were able to somewhat get over your fear of cats.. They really are the greatest things in the world
Unread 02-12-2011   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hey there Cynthia, and welcome. This forum is a bit quiet and it can take time for replies to come in.

Brandon I have to disagree with you about craigslist. It's an evil evil place for pets. Sickos and people looking for laboratory animals cruise craigslist and take cats that are "free to good homes" and do unspeakable things to them.

When adopting out you have to be very very careful. Charge an adoption fee, ask for references, including a vet reference and check them, and if possible do a home visit.

My suggestion to Cynthia is to have a fund raiser. Advertise that is is to benefit the rescue. Run a car wash, have a bake sale, have a neighborhood wide yard sale. Make up little pamphlets about the rescue on your computer and pass them out at the event. This will get the word out, and bring in a little financial help.

The down side of course is that once they are known they will probably start getting dumps. People will dump their pets there in the dark of night.

So..Cynthia....which cat are you going to adopt?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 02-12-2011   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

Thank you guys so very much for sending a reply, I really appreciate it. As I mentioned, I just want to help these ladies with the rescue, I will be printing flyers and such for them for sure. As for me adopting a cat....hmmmm....now that is a tuff one...lol. I mean I really am afraid of them, I already have 3 dogs and 3 horses, so I love animals, but me get a cat....hmmmmm....no think I have to pass....lol

Cynthia
Unread 02-12-2011   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Fine
dollydaft is on a distinguished road

Hello Cynthia

Those Ladies you mentioned, are hero's, not sure how to advise you though, for one thing, I'm a wee bit far away. (Northern Scotland.)
But if it helps, my husband was wary of cats, until we adopted our now one year old cats, (sisters, called Lillian and Molly.)
My man wasnt sure if he could get along with cats, but now, our two cats adore him, and he spoils them rotten.
(Have loads of photo's of them in my cat forum album.)

I grew up in a highland village, on the West coast, we had goats, dogs, cats, etc....and funnily enough all the animals got along with each other, really well, and no I did not grow up on a farm.

My last dog died a year ago, aged 15yrs, she was a beutiful, placid and very affectionate Labrador cross..still miss her, and one day when the time is right, I'll get another dog, to add to the family.

There is a huge difference between a pet owner and a pet lover, among other things, to a pet lover the animal is a four legged family member.

I think everyone here is a pet lover, and you would be surprised at the number of people who have both cats and dogs all living together happily.

The first picture is of our dog Brandie, sadly no longer with us, the second is our two cats, and the third is a photo I took from a layby at the side of the road, on my way home to visit friends and family.

I hope all goes well with your funraiser, take care, godbless x
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brandie.jpg (54.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg L~R Lillian and Molly.jpg (36.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg The village in the distance is my hometown, where I grew up..jpg (94.2 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by dollydaft; 02-12-2011 at 09:31 PM.

Tags
adopted , babies , beds , cat , cat lovers , cats , color , family , food , found , hey , home , homes , house , indoor , introduction , litter , love , lovers , loving , natural , nervous , pet , pictures , rescue , smart , spayed , suggestions , toys

Sponsored Cat Links