It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-23-2011   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Worried
57goldengirl is on a distinguished road
Default Hi from CA

Hi everyone. I've never done this before, so please forgive me if I goof up. I live in the San Diego area and I'm looking for homes or no kill shelters for my uncle's 4 cats. Uncle passed away 6 weeks ago, and having 6 cats of my own, I simply cannot afford 4 more. I've done everything that I know to find them homes, to no avail. One of the cats has kidney stones, and unless someone has the funds to pay for surgery for her, I will probably have to have her put down soon. My heart feels so broken right now. Such sweet kitties. Hoping someone out there can help me. Thank you.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-23-2011   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome to the forum. I'm so sorry for your loss of your uncle, and I feel extra sorry for the kitties to lose their human, their home and probably each other.

Have you been in contact with shelters and rescues? Go to petfinder.com to find the shelter and rescue organizations near you. Those may also be able to put you in touch with other rescues or foster homes.

Please don't advertise them "free to good home" on the internet. You didn't say you were, but I want to mention it because sickos watch for ads like that, take the cats and do unspeakable things to them. Not to mention laboratory experimentation.

If the cats are old, especially the sick one, it may be kinder to have them euthanized. I know not every one thinks that way, but in my opinion there are worse things than death. Moldering in a shelter cage, dumped on the street, abused, and being declawed, for example. All of which are possible when this kind of thing happens to cats.

All paws crossed for the poor homeless babies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 03-23-2011   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Thank you so much for your response. Yes, they are older kitties, around 8 years old. My head says euthanization is the kindest thing to do, but my heart is shattered. I just have to do the right thing for them.
I will never advertise them for free in ANY publication. I have posters up at my vet's office, the senior center, and our local pet store, as well as emails to many friends. I even put one of the cats on craigslist, with a re-homing fee, but nothing yet. I feel like I'm at the end of the road here. Most of the shelters I contacted are full and are not accepting any more animals. I guess there are no other answers for these critters Thank you for listening, and for responding.
Unread 03-23-2011   #4 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Cool
kskat is on a distinguished road

Do a search, google, cat rescue.
A friend of mine put an ad in the paper for free kittens. One guy came along, looking for food for his snakes! Now I'm terrified to even try rehoming cats/kittens, it's how I've ended up with 15! You can find homes just check the people out (references). Finding a no-kill rescue might be less hassle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 03-23-2011   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

Thx so much. My heart and my head aren't connecting. The longer I keep these kitties, the more attached I become. One of them has kidney stones, and my vet is quoting $1,000+for surgery. It's just so unfair

Thx so much Gail. I've decided that I need to get my emotions in check before I make any more decisions. This is so hard. To other people, they're 'just cats', but not to me. I try to put myself in their paws. They've lost SO much. First their home (we had to move them and Uncle in with us), then their human (Uncle), and now this. Ugh.
Unread 03-25-2011   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Busy
Sunlight is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskat View Post
Do a search, google, cat rescue.
A friend of mine put an ad in the paper for free kittens. One guy came along, looking for food for his snakes! Now I'm terrified to even try rehoming cats/kittens, it's how I've ended up with 15! You can find homes just check the people out (references). Finding a no-kill rescue might be less hassle.
I ended up with 14. I am afraid to rehoming them, too.

Unread 03-25-2011   #7 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Cool
kskat is on a distinguished road

I'm praying that you've had any luck. Did the vet talk about food and/or meds before jumping to surgery for the stones?

Unread 03-25-2011   #8 (permalink)
Newborn

I've had no luck. The vet said meds wouldn't break up the stones, but diet will prevent/dissolve struvite crystals-which she doesn't have. She said the stones are causing the lining of the kidneys to bleed and the only cure is surgery. I cannot afford the special diet, because I'd have to put them ALL on it. My uncle has 4 cats and I have 6. And I'm not working right now, so there's just no way for a special diet. If anyone else knows about stones and if there is an alternative to surgey, I would appreciate advice SO much. I still haven't decided what to do, but a friend says the humane society has an adoption program for adoptable animals, although I just don't trust them. I've heard too many bad things over the years. I can relinquish them for a minimum cost of $40 per cat, then they'll be evaluated and hopefully adopted, but I'm just not at peace with that decision, so for now I'll stay status quo. These kitties deserve safe and loving homes.
Unread 03-26-2011   #9 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

There are a couple of websites--Alleycat allies and petfinder. Google them and also google "No-kill shelters in SanDiego". Someone who works where I work was moving and couldn't take her cat because her new landlord didn't accapt pets (so why would she move THERE?) Anyway I googles "No-kill shelters in Brooklyn" since she lived in Brooklyn, and there were many to choose from. Good luck and please let us know if you found anything. It's so sad for the poor kitties.

Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Unread 04-17-2011   #10 (permalink)
Cool Cat

alleygata is on a distinguished road

Maybe you could work something out with a local shelter where you foster them while they wait for a new forever home. The shelter would advertise on PetFinder or other sites and try to find homes for the babies. You may need to take them to adoption days so find a rescue close to you. They may be able to help you with food and other needs since you're unemployed. Then when you get back on your feet you can donate something back to them or volunteer.

Good luck, you sound like a wonderful, caring human.

Tags
adoption , babies , cat , cats , diet , food , foster , found , free , friends , hey , home , homeless , homes , internet , jumping , kittens , kitties , loss , lost , loving , moving , no-kill , opinion , pet , rescue , search , senior , shelters , surgery , vet

Sponsored Cat Links