It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-20-2012   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Asleep
skimmiepooh is on a distinguished road
Default Hugo MN

Hello my name is Kim and we have one kitten and one cat...the kitten is 7 months old..have her since she was 8 weeks...our cat we have had since he was 5 months old...the kittens name is Sweet Pea and the cats name is Hamster...they get along great and they are spoiled beyond belief...LOL...does any one know how often cats have to be vaccinated against FIV and FeLuk...if anyone knows the answer can you please tell me...thank you for letting me join the cat forum...Kim...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 10-21-2012   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

First, cats should NEVER be vaccinated for FIV. The vaccine is not effective, and once they receive the vaccine, they will always test positive, even though they don't have the disease.

The FeLV vaccine should be given ONLY to cats who go outside, and are at risk for coming in contact with another cat who has feline leukemia. If you keep your cats inside, they do not need the FeLV vaccine.

And they are much safer inside, anyway.

Depending on the laws where you live, your cats should receive their rabies vaccines on what ever legal schedule your state mandates.

They should get the kitten series of the "distemper" vaccine (called FVRCP usually), and then a year later one FVRCP booster, and then unless they go outside, or you work in rescue or foster, they do not need this vaccine again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 10-21-2012   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

thank you soooo much acerlt...never knew that and now i know never to get the vaccine no matter how much the vet insists...will always say am doing research on the vaccines...
Unread 10-22-2012   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

If I had a vet who pushed unnecessary vaccines, especially after I already said NO, I'd be looking for another vet.

Some vets really do believe that booster vaccines are needed more often. But that can mean they are not keeping up with recent studies. Or they have not been convinced by those studies. Maybe not such a serious issue, it the vet has other redeeming qualities.

But a vet pushing the FIV vaccine is out for profit, not the best interests of the cat. I have nothing against a vet making a profit, but not at the expense of a pet's health by pushing unnecessary procedures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 10-22-2012   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

I soul heartily agree...when I saw that on the price amount to have our little kitten declawed, I went right thru the roof...I had been a Vet Tech in the past, and have never pushed a vaccine on an animal just to benefit the clinic with more money...when I take Sweet Pea in for her declaw on Wednesday, my hubby said I could tell them that we dont want the vaccine at this time, because I am doing further research on the FIV vaccines...and he told me I had to be nice....crap...and I told him we need to look for a different Vet clinic...but he said to wait and see what happens...the Vet clinc we go to have called repeatedly and emailed repeatedly about vaccines and keeping up with our kittens health...I would know when our kittens are sick...they always wanted us to bring in stool samples from both kittens, and I know the signs for worms or parasites on the kittens bodies...and that also perturbs me...so when I go in on Wednesday I am going to say in the kindest way possible that we DO NOT want the vaccines for the FIV and the FELUK right now...my hubby said when he had cats in the past he never got them vaccinated except what was necessary when they were kittens...man, when I saw the add on for the vaccines I went thru the roof...and after I saw what you said about the vaccines, I immediately went and told my hubby...we talked about it for sometime and he agreed with me not to have the vaccines done...I want to thank you for what you have said and about the ramifications of the vaccine forFIV...yeah, in the past when i worked for the vet clinic we never heard anything about the FIV vaccines to cause a cat to come up positive for the FIV even tho they didnt have it...thank you thank you thank you...KIM

Yes, and we do know all the contraversies surrounding the declaw procedures, when I worked in the Vet clinic I had even helped on a couple of declaws...the doctor I worked for was very compassionate about declaws...he was very diligant and caring when it came to the declaws we did...our Hamster, he was declawed and he was looked after continuously...i kept a very close eye on him, and his behavior and attitude never changed...we gave him love alot and I carried him around (spoiling him rotten)....his behavior and his attitude are still intact and he is still loving very much...there is one vet office here where we live with the doctor who doesnt even believe in suturing up the incisions or using surgical glue...i found that out when we were firts scoping out the best vets around where we live...but we do know all the issues with people who have problems with parents getting their cats declawed...my kittens are strictly indoor kittens...and they dont go out side for nothing... Kim
Unread 10-22-2012   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Oh no! You're worried about vaccines, but plan to cut off the toes of your kitten?

Please, PLEASE PLEASE do not do this. It just makes me sick to read this.

Declawing is a barbaric thing to do to a cat. You subject the cat to a life time of pain. Yes indeed, they have pain all their lives. Not just from the amputations but in their back and legs. They can't ever stretch or walk properly again. Ever.

Cats walk on their toes. When you cut off their toes during a de-claw, you are cutting off bone, nerves, tendons and ligaments. The very things they walk on. So instead, they walk on stumps the rest of their lives. And since they have to walk on these stumps, their gait is screwed up.

Cats use their claws to stretch and exercise. When they hook their claws into a scratching post they are not just scratching, they are pulling to stretch and tone their back muscles and their legs. Without claws they can no longer do this.

Declawing is illegal in at least 27 countries around the world, and 8 cities so far in the USA (all in California).

Why are you planning to do this? There is no reason, not ANY reason, ever, to do this to a kitten or cat. Please, leave your kitten's toes alone.

Hamster I'm sure has pain. Cats instinctively hide pain and illness. As he gets older he will have early onset arthritis. Please, don't subject yet another cat to the same suffering.

Did you know that the de-clawing procedure is so painful that cats actually jump and even scream when the toes are amputated, even deep under anesthesia.

It is so painful that even under anesthesia, some vets (calling themselves "humane", what a joke) will inject a local anesthetic into the paws before cutting. And yet the cats still jump from the pain. Yes, I have seen videos of this.

Please, don't do this to Sweet Pea. Since it is too late for Hamster there are things you can do for him, learn how to give him massage that will help him stretch and stay limber, and help ease the pain his crippled gait causes him.

please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 10-22-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Unread 10-22-2012   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

I am glad to hear you know how cats or kittens feel regarding declawing...youmust have been a cat in a previous life...you cant say you know how a cat feels once they are declawed...man did i join the wrong cat forum...you are too judgmental and a hypocrit...yes a hypocrit.....you dont know how my cat feels or how he acts...my cat is well rounded and he is very healthy and very limber...so dont you dare sit there and tell me you know how my cat or any other cat or kitten feels regarding declaws...did you do a study on how cats and kittens feel about declaws...no i am sure you didnt...youdont know me or my animals...and my cat IS JUST FINE...so how dare you sit there on your high throne and pass judgment on someone you dont even know...and the declawing isnt done the way you say it is done...you only hear what you hear or read what you read...if i would have known this web site has the right or nerve to pass opinions on people that they dont even know then i came upon your forum with grave error...and i am glad it makes you sick to read my post...and for your info, MY CAT does plenty of excerise around the house...he jumps just fine and he strectches just fine and he gets plenty of love from me and my husband...you dont know squat about how cats feel or can you read their minds...my cat is very healthy and he is happy...how do i know this because he shows me and my husband every day the love he has for us...my cat is neither depressed or unhealthy or what ever else you want to pin on cats and kittens on how they act or feel...you must be a mind reader or psychic about how cats and kittens feel...SO DONT YOU DARE THROW JUDGMENT At ME FOR WHAT I DO...

YOU HAVE NO RIGHT OR REASON TO THROW YOU OPINION AROUND...PEOPLE DO WHAT THEY FIND TO BE FEASIBLE...WHY DO YOU THINK SO MANY CATS ARE IN SHELTERS BECAUSE THEY ARENT DECLAWED AND THEY WRECK STUFF...I FEEL SORRY FOR THE CATS THAT ARE RETURNED TO SHELTERS BECAUSE OF ALL THEY DID AND THE OWNER NOT HAVING THE COMMON KNOWLEDGE TO TRAIN THEIR CATS OR KITTENS NOT TO SCRATCH UP STUFF OR PROVIDE A NICE HOME FOR A CAT THAT IS DECLAWED...MY CAT IS WELL-ROUNDED AND HAPPY AND HEALTHY AND FINE...SO STICK YOUR JUDGMENTS ON SOMEONE WHO CARES WHAT YOU THINK YOU MAY KNOW ABOUT HOW CATS FEEL...FEEL SORRY FOR THE CATS AND KITTENS THAT ARE PUT TO SLEEP EVERY DAY BECAUSE HUMANS DONT KNOW HOW TO TAKE CARE OF THEM...AND FEEL SORRY FOR THE ANIMALS THAT ARE USED AS GUINEA PIGS FOR EXPERIMENTS...SO I BID YOU ADIEU AND WILL NOT BE RETURNING TO THIS FORUM...FOR IT IS TOOOOOOOOOOO JUDGMENTAL AND WRONG FOR YOU TO SAY SOMETHING YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO KNOWLEDGE OF...:evil

OH, I FORGOT...CATS ARE NOT GIVEN A LOCAL ANESTESIA THEY ARE COMPLETELY KNOCKED OUT...AND CATS USE THEIR CLAWS TO CAPTURE PREY AND TO MARK TERRITORIES...YOU FORGOT TO MENTION THAT PART SINCE YOU ARE SUCH A CAT WIZARD....AND HAMSTER DOESNT EVEN WALK FUNNY HE WALKS JUST LIKE ANY NORMAL CAT WHO HAS CLAWS OR NOT...SO DONT SIT THERE AND SAY YOU KNOW HOW MY CAT WALKS OR FEELS... AND MY CAT IS QUITE LIMBER AND HAS A GOOD RANGE OF MOTION ON HIS LEGS AND HE IS A STRONG CAT FROM ALL THE PLAYING AND CHASING HE DOES WITH OUR OTHER KITTEN..SO THERE...
Unread 10-22-2012   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Please try to hear me. Please, don't do this.

Shelters are full of declawed cats. Chopping a cat's toes off does not keep them out of shelters or prevent them from being dumped on the street. In fact they are MORE likely to be dumped.

It sounds like you think cats don't feel pain. Or don't have feelings. Cats do feel pain and they do have emotions. They are not wind up toys.

And yes, they are given general anesthesia, but as I said, because it is SO PAINFUL, some vets also inject a local anesthesia into the paws before they chop the toes off, saying this is a "more humane" method. There is nothing, nothing, humane about amputating the toes of a cat. It is not "removal of the claws" it is amputation of the top digit of the toe, including bone, tendon, ligaments and nerves.

No I haven't done studies, there are plenty already done.

I tell you what. You have your toes and heels chopped off and then tell me if it hurts. And you tell me, in a few years, if your back hurts, from not being able to walk properly. Only then will you really understand what you have done to one cat, and plan to do to another. My point is, if it would hurt you, it hurts them. There is just no reason to do this. Please, think about it won't you?

Declawing is ILLEGAL in 27 countries, because it is considered inhumane.

Please, don't do this to your kitten. There is no need for it. Nails can be trimmed. Cats can be trained to scratch where they are supposed to scratch.

Do some research and educate yourself about what really happens during a declaw. You will be horrified you ever did it to Hamster, and you will not do it to Sweet Pea. How could you, and continue to say you love them, if you do this thing after knowing what it really is.

Look into it. Please. For Sweet Pea's sake.

please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 10-22-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Unread 10-22-2012   #9 (permalink)
Newborn

YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO JUDGE ME AS I HAVE SAID...YOU DIDNT EVEN READ WHAT I HAVE SAID...YOU THINK YOU ARE THE CAT QUEEN AND YOU KNOW EVERYTHING ...GUESS WHAT ....I HAVE HELPED IN DECLAWS AND IT IS NOT THE WAY YOU DESCRIBE IT...YOU THINK YOU KNOW IT ALL SO YOU ARE A ROCK STAR....SO GET IT THRU YOUR STUPID THICK HEAD ALL CATS AT SHELTERS ARE CLAWED CATS NOT DECLAWED CATS...YOU MUST HAVE WENT AROUND AND INSPECTED ALL THE SHELTERS...YOU ARE ONE BIG ZIT...SO GET OFF YOUR PETA HIGH HORSE AND GO AFTER THE PEOPLE WHO TOTALLY MUTILATE ALL ANIMALS...JAND GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF THE CLOUDS AND GET A LIFE...YOU SEEM TO KNOW SO MUCH WHY DONT YOU WRITE A BOOK ABOUT ALL OF YOUR STUPID KNOWLEDGE...MY CAT MY KITTEN...MY CAT IS JUST FINE AND HE IS VERY HAPPY AND HE DOESNT WALK LIKE HE IS ON STUBS..AND MY KITTEN IS HAPPY AND FINE AND SHE WILL ALWAYS BE HEALTHY...SO GO STICK YOUR ADVICE WHERE THE SUN DONT SHINE..GET A LIFE AND GET A CLUE YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING AOBUT...
The Following User Says Thank You to skimmiepooh For This Useful Post:
Unread 10-22-2012   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I do hope you will reconsider.

If you really believed de-clawing was harmless you would not be so angry. You must know, in your heart, that amputating a cat's claws and part of her toes for human convenience is wrong.

You are free to do your own research, and you will discover that everything I say is true.

Why else has it been banned in 27 other countries, and 8 cities, so far, in the United States?

Why do you think this is so necessary? It benefits the cat not at all, and causes all kinds of complications.

Please, don't do this to your kitten. Spay her of course, because that prevents the endless heat cycles, uterine cancer, pyometra and pregnancy, and greatly reduces the risk of mammary cancer. But there is absolutely no health benefit to amputating her toes.

please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 10-22-2012 at 07:16 PM.

Tags
another cat , behavior , car , cat , cats , cut , elderly , eye , fever , fiv , foster , found , fur , great , health , heat , hey , home , kitten , kittens , legal , loving , mat , money , nice , pet , problems , rabies , rescue , scratch , scream , sick , test , vaccine , vet

Sponsored Cat Links