It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-23-2013   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Sassan31 is on a distinguished road
Default Just got a 6-week old Siamese kitty!

I just got a 6-week old Siamese female kitten and will be looking in the next week or two to find another kitten to join her. In the mean time, this is the first cat that I have ever had and the first real pet (other than birds) since I was 1 or 2 years old. I will be looking online for tips and advice on how to raise it properly but I wanted to ask for some suggestions on here. For example, this kitty is not litter trained yet. How do I go about on training her? Also, the kitten is no longer bottle fed and the people that I got her from said that they mix dry and wet food to feed her. I would appreciate all the advice. I work from home and study from home and my girlfriend works as a teacher during the day. We will take good care of this kitten as well as the other friend that we will be looking in getting for her soon. Thanks in advance and hope all is well.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 10-23-2013   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Six weeks is much too young for a kitten to leave her mother and littermates. Please take the kitten back to her mother until she is at least 10 weeks old.

She isn't a Siamese. She's a beautiful girl, but Siamese is a breed, and your kitten is not purebred.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 10-23-2013   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

@acerlt: I would take your advice except that is not possible. The people that I got the kitty from would simply sell her to someone else (got it for $90) and it wouldn't go back to the mother. They said the mother was also rejecting the litter (not sure if true or not). I will get her a companion within a few days but the best thing would be to take care of her as best as possible which I will do. The other littermates were already gone. She was the last one.

Last edited by Sassan31; 10-23-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Unread 10-24-2013   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Well I was afraid of that. Just another !@##$%^&* backyard breeder out to make a buck regardless of the lives involved.

Just so you know your kitten is not a Siamese, you were ripped off if you are thinking she is.

But she is precious and she is lucky to be with you.

Never mind the dry food. Feed her canned right off the bat, and don't even get started on dry, ever. Dry food is full of corn and carbs and other nasty things cats should never have. It is also dehydrating, causes obesity, diabetes, urinary tract disease and kidney disease.

Feed her grain free canned foods, avoid fruits and veggies in the food, too if possible. Pate is better than chunks in gravy types, because it is lower in carbs.

Everything you need to know about feline nutrition can be found here:

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health.

Since she was taken away from her mother and sibs so young, there may be some behavior problems as she grows up. Another, older, kitten may help. Try to find a cat at least a year old, then she will have someone to teach her how to be a cat.

Keep her litter pan in a place she can get to quickly and easily. Kittens,. like all babies, don't always realize they have to go until the very last minute. Show her the litter pan, she'll know what to do with it.

Any accidents: scoop up the poop and put it in the pan. Sprinkle litter over the pee, sweep it up and put it in the pan. this will show her what the pan is for.

Don't use clumping litter until she is at least 6 months old.

Use a low sided box until she is bigger, you want to make it as easy on her as possible.

Congratulations to all of you! What's her name?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 10-24-2013   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

@acetlt: I agree with you completely. I feel very bad that the kitty is without her mother. But the alternative was that it would end up in another home as she was the last one and I can at least provide her a good home. You see, I work and study from home and as my girlfriend is at work I can take good care of her. Therefore while the situation is not optimal and fair to the little kitty, I felt that the alternative situation might have been worse for her. And I don't are what she kind of kitty she is. I will find her a companion very soon as I feel this is very important for her development as a cat.

And yes, I have been feeding her fine wet food purchased from the pet store.

And today she used the litter! And after that she went to it herself to urinate. After she releived herself she was a bit shy but after she came out of her shyness she became a totally different kitty! Since her bowel movement she has been energetic, inquisitive, playful and just full of spirit. Before she was always whining which I accepted but now she seems to be much herself. We will be good to her and treat her well along with a companion that we find. I appreciate your advice and compassion. I was told that we need to wait two more weeks or so for the shots and all that. Correct?

And we haven't named her yet! Thanks again for your advice and help.

Tags
advice , beautiful , behavior , birds , bowel , breed , care , cat , cats , diabetes , diet , dry , dry food , female , food , girl , hey , home , kitten , kittens , kitty , litter , litter box , nutrition , obesity , pee , pet , poop , problems , siamese , suggestions , tips , training , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links