It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-22-2013   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Nocturnal is on a distinguished road
Smile Hello Everyone!!

Hi,
My name is Britney and I have 2 beautiful kitties, Stellaluna and Nyx (Nixie). I've had Stella since she was a baby... she was thrown away in a paper bag very, very sick. She was found though and brought to a animal hospital I worked at where she had to stay for a long while to get healthy. Through her treatment she developed large scars on her eyes, and none of the other staff wanted her. However, I fell in love with her at first sight and once she finished her treatment and got spayed I brought her home and she's been with me going strong for 5 years. Nyx I adopted about 3 weeks ago (she's about 6 months old). She was feral but not aggressive so they put her up for adoption. She has sat in a cage for almost 4 months without one person wanting to see her. But I think me falling for her to was meant to be because she and Stella are best friends and I can see her come more out of her shell a little each day. And a little side note: Stellaluna's name means star, moon. Nyx was named after a very old Greek Goddess who was the personification of night. So they go together in a way

I'm trying to learn everything I can about taking the best care of them because I want them with me for a long time.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 12-22-2013   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

It surely does sound like Nyx was meant to be with you and StellaLuna, how wonderful for all three of you.

Considering what you've done for SellaLuna it seems you must know a bit about cat care already but you said you want to learn to give them the best care possible and that starts with diet

Feed a canned or raw (or both) diet and they will thrive to their highest potential. Avoid any dry food, and avoid, when at all possible, canned foods that contain carrageenan, corn, or other grains, gluten, artificial things, sodium nitrites and sodium nitrates. My list of things to avoid is longer than that but I don't want to drive you crazy haha.

Don't feed fishy foods more than once or twice a week, but I avoid fish completely.

Play with both of them on a routine daily basis. Cats love and thrive on routine so if you play with them at the same times every day, soon they will know what those times are.

Routine is important, and so is exercise.

Keep toys like string on a stick type toys put out of reach when not in use, especially the type with elastic string. Very dangerous.

Provide the cats with plenty of choices in scratching furniture, meaning provide different textures and shapes. My cats love curved scratchers, but they also like tall vertical ones, and I have one who delights in edge scratching. They like cardboard, sisal, wood and berber carpet.

Make sure they have enough elevated space, cats love to perch high up.

Have at least 3 litter boxes, use litter that is unscented (fragrance free) and scoop out pee and poop at least once a day.

Groom them daily, even if they will only allow one stroke of the comb at first. Learn to trim their claws, also.

Give them cardboard boxes to play in, cats love cardboard boxes.

There you have Cats 101

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 01-09-2014   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Rociotn07 is on a distinguished road
Default Welcome

Welcome to the forum "I love cats"

Tags
adopted , adoption , aggressive , animal , baby , beautiful , care , carpet , cat , cats , crazy , diet , dry food , eyes , feral , food , found , friends , furniture , healthy , hey , home , kitties , love , night , pee , person , poop , raw , scratching , scratching furniture , sick , spayed , toys

Sponsored Cat Links