It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-30-2014   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Winstonkitty is on a distinguished road
Default Hello everyone!

Hello! I am Winstonkitty (I named myself after my neighbor's cat who I loved so much, but who died at age six... but that's a whole other story).
Anyway, I am allergic to cats, which is incredibly unfortunate, as I absolutely LOVE cats! We once got a little grey tabby kitten but I was allergic to her, so we had to return her to the rescue we got her from.
But I have been doing some research now that I am a sad catless person, and I have found SO MANY references to how a siberian cat is hypoallergenic! They naturally produce less of the Fel D1 protein in thier skin and saliva which is what most people are actually allergic to. I haven't got one of these kittens yet, but I sure do plan on maybe getting one in the future! My mom would much prefer me to get a kitten than a rat like I wanted before, thinking that I was doomed to a catless life.
Also, I would like to tell you about a big cat that comes in my backyard every now and then. I don't know who owns this cat, but it is big, grey and white, and has a collar with a heart-shaped tag on it. I would love to read what that tag says, but the cat really doesn't care about me. I mean, I went out and bought cat treats for her (not sure if it's actually a he or she), and then I went outside when she was present. I sat quietly with the treats in my hand, sometimes talking softly, trying to get her to come. I can't get within a meter of her, because she'll run. But if I'm a meter or more away, she just ignores me. She'll set her peircing green eyes on me for a second, then just look away nonchalantly. I even have a catnip plant growing in a pot on the deck, and she ignores that too. I might add that she has killed and eaten a baby wild rabbit before . Anyway I have nicknamed this cat 'Kitty'. What else could I call her? Haha
Anyway sorry for the long post but anyway, hi!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-02-2014   #2 (permalink)
Newborn

Umm I hate to be that person but isn't anyone going to say anything?...It's been 4 days since I wrote this… Is someone here going to say what they think of the siberian's hypoallergenicity? Or how I can make Kitty like me?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-03-2014   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Please don't feed your neighbor's cat. The cat may be on a special diet, or have allergies that you know nothing about.

The myths about "hypo-allergenic" cats has been around a while. I don't believe it myself. Most people, even if they are allergic get used to the cat after a while, especially if they take measures to cut down on the dander by wiping kitty down with a damp cloth every day and vacuuming daily.

There are things you can do to help counteract allergies if you adopt a cat, but please realize that a pet is for life. If you bring kitty home and your allergies don't improve after a few months, what then? Is kitty going to lose her home, like the last one? That is very hard on a cat, and the person attached to the cat.

I understand love of cats and wanting to have one but I think you should wait until you are an adult and are in control of your own life. At that time, plan on adopting a "hypo allergenic cat" if you think it will help you, and just plan on doing everything in your power to combat the allergies, vacuuming daily, wiping kitty down, getting shots if necessary.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 08-08-2014   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

Well he/she never ate the treats anyway so I guess that's good then, lol. But I'm almost inclined to think the cat is half-wild anyway because of her obvious dislike of most humans... I have to wonder if the cat was lost a while ago and no one could ever get it back. She's huge, but not fat by any means.
*Sigh* I know, but if it's all myths then why would there be so many articles, studies, and letters about how it works on the internet? There are hypoallergenic dogs, so surely it should be the same with cats?
I was looking for a siberian forum so that people with siberian cats could answer this, so I thought this would be the next best thing. However there seems to be no one else with allergies on here.
I wouldn't bother trying to feed the cat if it just would come to me, or at least be a but more friendly. Food is the way to a cat's heart, my mom said.
I probably won't get the cat anyway. I just wish there was someone out there who actually knew what being allergic to cats and yet loving them was like... But no, I'm stuck with begging my parents this whole summer for a rodent.
I'm a bit annoyed with my life right now so sorry if any of that sounded like I was mad at you.
Unread 08-09-2014   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

You don't sound mad at me. You sound impatient to grow up. . Time will take care of that.

It doesn't sound like your mother knows very much about cats. Many cats are cautious by nature and do not want to be bothered by strangers. Food won't have much to do with it, especially a cat who is being well fed already.

Rodents can make very good rewarding pets. They don't live very long, is the main problem, but rats, for instance, are very intelligent animals, trainable, and very social, too.

I don't think nagging your parents for a cat is a good idea, it isn't fair to the cat to bring her or him into a home where the cat is not wanted by everyone. Cats are very sensitive animals and they know when they are not liked or wanted. It causes them stress, and stress makes cats sick and unhappy.

When you are out on your own and self supporting will be plenty of time for you to have your own cats. I know lots of adults who are allergic to cat dander who manage to live with and love their cats.

In the mean time depending on how old you are, why don't you look into volunteering at a local shelter or rescue? A nice assignment like playing with and socializing the kittens and spending time with the adult cats (playing with them brushing them giving them lots of love) can teach you a ton about cat behavior and care and may help you outgrow your allergies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 08-09-2014   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

Thanks for that, I really appreciated it
You are right about everything you said. I think I'll get a rat if my parents don't mind—that would be fun anyway as I have always wanted a rat along with always wanting a cat

Yes, I think I will volunteer at a rescue next summer. Even if I'm just cleaning our cages, it could be fun. I'll be 16 next summer so that's old enough for most things.
The Following User Says Thank You to Winstonkitty For This Useful Post:
Unread 08-09-2014   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

You have a great attitude. A rat will be a nice pet for you now, to help you learn about the responsibility of caring for a pet, and they are very fun intelligent animals. Read up on them first, they are very social, but I don't know if they do best in pairs or singles.

Successful volunteer work will not only be a rewarding and learning experience for you, it looks very good on college applications!

please read this first

Tags
age , allergic , baby , behavior , care , cat , catnip , cats , collar , diet , dogs , eyes , found , grey , hey , home , internet , kitten , kittens , kitty , person , pet , present , rescue , sad , siberian cat , story , tabby , wild

Sponsored Cat Links