It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-23-2015   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Tiny Friday is on a distinguished road
Red face Need advice, adopted 2 cats. New cat owner

I adopted two cats from pet alliance on Friday. They were friendly at the shelter and friendly the first evening. Now the nicer one is in hiding and won't come out. The more timid one is actually a little more friendly but still hides almost all day. I have a dog also adopted from pet alliance almost a year ago. And I have two young children ages 2 and 5. I think these cats are freaked out. I think they were happier at the shelter. I'm really wondering if I made the right decision and if these cats could ever be happy in this home. Any advice? Also they are not eating much. They nibble on the science diet dry food and barely touch the canned food I out out every day.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-01-2015   #2 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Blah
kittylover7235 is on a distinguished road

They are probably still getting used to the new lifestyle! The new smells!That's a lot to take in for a kitty! Try keeping them in a room let them get used to that and slowly show them more and more rooms and let them get used to your scent.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to kittylover7235 For This Useful Post:
Unread 04-01-2015   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

It's only been a few days. It can take weeks or months for cats to adjust to such a major change.

I agree with the post above. Keep them in one room, together and let them get used to that. Spend as much time in their room as you can, sitting quietly and talking to them.

Once they seem more relaxed start bringing in the children, one at a time. The child should sit quietly and talk to them. I realize a 2 and 5 year old cannot sit quietly for long (though the 5 year old is probably capable of understanding what to do and why) so these visits should be kept very sort.

While they are in their room, work on providing cat safe escapes throughout the house. Elevated spaces where they can get away from both kids and dog are very important.

When you do begin to let them out, the dog should be kept restrained, either behind a gate or on a leash held by you. The dog should never ever be allowed to chase the cats. If your dog does not know a "leave it" command, work on teaching her that command while the cats are still in their room.

Congratulations on your new family members. they'll be okay, just give them time, lots of time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 04-01-2015 at 06:21 PM.
Unread 04-01-2015   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

PS please consider getting rid of the science diet. It's an awful food. Is that what they were eating at the shelter?

Once they settle in, I would gradually start to feed them more canned food, until they are eating all canned. But the diet change can wait until they are more settled.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 04-02-2015   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

thecatproblems is on a distinguished road

Try changing the food and see which food they like best. Give more food of their choise. It takes time for cats to get used to new settings. They will settle down over time. Good Luck!
Unread 05-20-2015   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

nhuanqm is on a distinguished road

Try changing the food and see which food they like best

Youtube Video : youtu.be/2Lm0574VETk
Unread 06-23-2015   #7 (permalink)
Banned
Cool Cat

andrewgrayson15 is on a distinguished road

I also agree while adopting a cat you should know information about cats and try keeping them in a room let them get used to that and slowly show them more and more rooms and let them get used to your scent.

Tags
adopted , advice , art , canned food , cat , cats , children , diet , dog , dry , dry food , eating , family , food , friendly , happy , hey , hiding , home , house , information about cats , kitty , new cat , not eating , pet , shelter , timid

Sponsored Cat Links