It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-31-2007   #1 (permalink)
iAmGirl

Default We took in a crazy stray cat...?

Almost a year ago now. She lived on an old sofa in my backyard for a few weeks, and I couldn't resist. She was probably about 9 months old when we brought her in. She's since had kittens- we kept one, and she's recently been spayed.She's pretty mean! I'm wondering if she will ever truly trust us and be NICE?She has softened up a tiny bit in the time she's been with us, but she can only handle a little bit of affection- and on her terms. Her kitten is awesome!And she did improve a little after the spay.But she still scares me. lol

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-01-2007   #2 (permalink)
landoflookbehind

Good job,she'll love u for that,and so will God.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 02-02-2007   #3 (permalink)
Catrancher99

It's a sad fact that some cats are mistreated by humans. Maybe your mama cat was abused and it's "set" in her personality to be mistrustful even though she likes being a domesticated kitty. I'd ask a vet about behavior modification. Otherwise, be patient and loving, and learn the signals she gives when she's had her fill of petting, then give her space. My Balinese girl Deja Vu was pretty grouchy when she first came in. I called her my Amazon princess. She even attacked my hand a couple of times, but I learned to let her come to me when she wanted attention - and now she's gotten to be a nuisance, especially when I'm on the computer or it's 5:30 am and she wants breakfast. I love her to pieces and wouldn't think of giving her up. I accept her the way she is. Love and patience, and whatever your vet suggests.

Unread 02-06-2007   #4 (permalink)
kdbowlin2000

That's probably just her personality. I took in a stray also about the same situation except it was 4 years ago, and she's the sweetest cat ever. With any luck, her kitten will have a better personality.

Unread 02-06-2007   #5 (permalink)
A-Rod's Mama

Sometimes it takes cats YEARS to calm down and be nice. Of course their is instances when it doesn't happen at all. But you have seen a positive improvement in her behavior. So I think your headed in the right direction. I say give her the space she wants. Shewill let you know when she wants a little loving. In the mean time enjoy her wonderful baby. Maybe when she sees how great you are with her kitty, she'll come around... Good Luck!

Unread 02-06-2007   #6 (permalink)
Cha Cha

No, she probably won't.

Unread 02-06-2007   #7 (permalink)
♥Shortie♥

Well sounds like she might just B reacting from getting fixed (it really depends how long ago he got fixed)If it was a wile ago then try going 2 the vet.

Unread 02-06-2007   #8 (permalink)
Kendra

I would wait a few weeks after she has been spayed, even two months, and see how she is acting. They say that spaying a cat can change their hormonal imbalance, and make them more docile. If she continues to be mean to you, don't be afraid to let her know it. If you're playing with her and she all the sudden bites you, get up and walk away to let her know that play time is now over. If she trashes things on purpose, take her to what she did and spray her with a tiny bit of water. If she's constantly not letting you near her, try to find ways to do activities within a distance she finds acceptable, and every couple days make it closer, and longer periods of time until you are able to do it right beside her. Cuddling takes time, but most cats will warm up to it and then love it. Some won't though, I won't lie, some cats will never be socialable, and that is just how they are, I hope yours will warm up to you, I must say, that is the first stray I've EVER heard of that didn't fall in love with their owners and were thankful for everything they got. GOOD LUCK! PS If her kitten loves you, then she may see the bonding going on, and want to join in. That would be great for you if she did.

Unread 02-06-2007   #9 (permalink)
Mel

It sounds like spaying her helped some. Over time, she may mellow even more. I have noticed through the years with the four cats I have that they do tend to mellow with age. With strays, you never know what you are going to get. Some just never turn into big lovey types. I have one that was 6 months when I got him off the streets. He's sweet, but can be quite rough with me & the other cats sometimes. Keep loving your cat ..... sounds like you do a lot & want the best for her. Only time will tell if she will mellow even more. Best of luck to you!

Unread 02-06-2007   #10 (permalink)
mks 7-15-02

Be Nice To Your Cat She Will Be Nice To You.

Tags
age , baby , balinese , behavior , bites , calm , cat , cats , computer , crazy , fixed , girl , great , hey , joy , kitten , kittens , kitty , love , loving , nice , personality , pet , playing , sad , spayed , stray , strays , vet , water

Sponsored Cat Links