It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-27-2008   #1 (permalink)
sftbldrk22

Smile New stray kitten in house with 2 house cats - Need Advice

Hi Everyone,

The situation is that there was a stray kitten (about 10-12 weeks) living under the porch. One night my roommates and I saw a raccoon on the porch along with 4 or 5 ground hogs within the day. We all decided it was time to try to catch the kitten to make sure it was going to be safe. We have been feeding the kitten for at least the last month, but anytime we came near her she would just run. We now have her in the house with free reign of one bedroom to start. We have 2 other cats that we adopted from the humane society last year. They are all under 2 years old, but the other two have been around for a year and a year and a half.

The new kitten I got to a vet to be sure it was healthy and to get its first shots. The vet said she was about 10-12 weeks old. She purs when you hold her, but to actually catch her to hold her is quite a project and I am afraid of continually scaring her.

I have been told to just be patient and eventually she will come out from hiding if we stop scaring her. She does come out to eat, but not when we are around. And she has been using the litter box, thank goodness!!!

Does anyone have any tricks on how to get her to be more personable? I am a very patient person so if I have to sit on the floor every night for weeks on end that is ok. I just dont know if there is anything I should do, like give it meat or anything else. She has no interest in any of the cat toys that we have around the house, but she does love chicken and cheese.

Any advice anyone can give me would be very helpul!

Thanks in advance

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 09-19-2008   #2 (permalink)
ashleighmae

Default some ideas

Hello,
I volunteer at a cat shelter for strays and ferals.
We have a lot of skittish kittens and the best thing
I have been told to do by the lead volunteers is to
keep holding them & pet them gently while speaking to
them in a calm voice.
I think it will eventually come around. I hope this helps!!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 09-21-2008   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

The best will be to be more patient & give her time to get used to you.

I also adopted a stray kitten a month ago or so & at the beginning he was very shy. Now he's like an "intolerable spring" you will see all around the house, drivind mad the others 5 kits I have (and us also).

It doesn't matter, all will be all right in the next few weeks...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 09-21-2008   #4 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

che is on a distinguished road

Well done for rescuing her.She will be fine,give it time and lots of patience.xxxxx
Unread 09-22-2008   #5 (permalink)
sftbldrk22

Default Update on the new kitten

Good Morning,

I wanted to let everyone know the progress that has been made with my new kitten, Blackie. When I rescued her, about 3 weeks ago now, she wouldnt even come out from under the bed or in the closet unless I was laying in bed. At that point all she would do is go to the litter box, eat her food, and drink her water. I believe in the last 3 weeks she has made a lot of progress!!!

She LOVES playing with toys now!!! I can give her anything from a balled up piece of paper to the most extraveagant cat toy made and she loves them all!! She has just started jumping up on the bed every now and then. She still wont let me pet her. If I even reach out for her she runs away from me. BUT she will play with my hands and feet if they are under a blanket and she is on top of the blanket

The fact that she will play with me and that she is getting closer to me is a great feeling! Even though I cant hold her or pet her, it still makes me feel good that she is getting better at being around me.

She used to run as soon as I would take a step in her direction, even if I was really not going for her. Now if I walk slowly enough she doesnt run she just watches me and stays where she is

Blackie has also found a playmate! She LOVES my younger of the other two cats. They play constantly!!!! He gets a little rough with her sometimes and she cries, but he has gotten better at playing with her and is not so rough all of the time now. My older of the two cats just kind of tolerates the fact that Blackie is there. The pretty much leaves her alone, but if she wants to the food or water she hisses and might swat once or twice at her. I hope that Hope (my older of the other two cats) gets better at being around Blackie!

Thanks for all of your kind words of advice! I am still being very patient and hoping that one of these days she will just let me pet her

If anyone has any more ideas of how to get her to let me pet her let me know

Thanks!!!!!

Unread 09-22-2008   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Wink

I told you to be more patient dear... and continue to be patient, she will let you pet her, you'll see!

Unread 09-22-2008   #7 (permalink)
sftbldrk22

I will continue to be patient My two roommates are the impatient ones. They keep trying to push her and I told them that is not going to help her situation and that she just needs to get used to us.

I enjoy the little things like now that she has figured out that on the bed is ok. I enjoy the little things like that, the things that she does that are new She LOVES my bay window sill.

How is your kitten doing that you got about a month ago??? Are your other cats doing better around him now???

Unread 09-22-2008   #8 (permalink)
Harlan

Food is how we got our stay first hooked on us. It is going to take time, as her reaction to flee all things have kept her alive (from raccons, other cats, dogs, etc) so she will learn on her own time schedule to trust you.

For us it was the middle of our winter, real temperatures of -20 and she too was under out deck.

With 8 months gone by she is comfortable with the 2 of us in our house but when a stranger comes she still flees the scene.

We think that she may have been abused, since she is so afraid of people. But then again she might be just showing cat's super intelligency as their are many scary people out in the world. Maybe we all should trust cats more and people less.

Unread 09-22-2008   #9 (permalink)
sftbldrk22

Wow! 8 months! Well, I hope it doesnt take that long, but I guess if that is what it takes then that is what it takes! I know that I cant rush her into trusting me or my roommates. I guess that is why I get so excited with her very small improvements around me. I just know that one day she is going to let me pet her and hold her and I just look forward to that day. For now she seems very pleased with her play time with her new brother

I have read that part of the reason it is taking longer with her than it did my other two, that I adopted from the Humane Society, is because she is older than they were. I guess any cat over 8 weeks is a lot harder to get used to being around people. The vet said she was between 10 and 12 weeks so that would mean that by now she is almost 4 months old.

I still love her! I enjoy spending time talking to her and just watching her play. She will let me play with her from a distance, so I will just keep doing that for now

Unread 09-22-2008   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Talking

My little Dino is doing very well, he's already the boss here He's literally driving mad the other 5, it's funny.

Bye for now,

Tags
adopted , advice , animal , art , baby , box , calm , cat , cat toys , cats , food , free , great , healthy , hey , hiding , house , kitten , kittens , litter , litter box , love , mat , new kitten , night , pet , play , playing , project , shelter , small , stop , stray , strays , toys , tricks , vet , window

Sponsored Cat Links