It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-08-2009   #1 (permalink)
ron_cat_dude

Default Rabies Vaccinations

I have been feeding three homeless kitties for the past 4 years. I caught one of them when I first started and had him neutered and vaccinated, he was about 6 months old at the time. Two females came along, a mother and daughter about 3 years ago. I caught them and had them spayed and vaccinated. I have had the little guy vaccinated every year since then, he was relatively tame and easy to work with. The two girls have not been vaccinated since, they are not as tame and I was afraid I would scare them off trying to catch them again.

It is time to get him vaccinated again, but I will not be able to do it this year because I have a couple of cancerous areas in my back that are very painful and it has even become difficult to feed them.

I have found information on the net about oral rabies vaccine which can be fed to animals instead of an inoculation.

Does anyone know anything about this vaccination? I would sure like to vaccinate all 3 of them if it could be that simple.

THANKS!!!!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-08-2009   #2 (permalink)
KittyCity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_cat_dude View Post

Does anyone know anything about this vaccination? I would sure like to vaccinate all 3 of them if it could be that simple.
An oral vaccine? I doubt that. Rabies vaccines are only legally administered by a licensed vet. If its an oral vaccine- you'd still have to get them to a vet, or get a vet that will come to your house.

I work in a clinic, and have heard NOTHING about an oral vaccine.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 01-08-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

There actually is an oral rabies vaccine but it is for wild life.

http://www.broward.org/animal/rabiesvac.pdf

ron cat dude, I think you are terrific for taking care of these strays all these years. Is the catching them the issue, because of your ilness? Is there anyone who could help you, or will they only come out when you are around alone?

How about getting a havahart trap and collecting them that way? If you could get them in the traps, could you get them to the vet?

Or better yet, get them in the traps, then get a vet to come to you, then they wouldn't even have to leave their home. House visits can be expensive, but many clinics offer this service in special circumstances now.

Also there are moblile vet clinics in some areas too.

I understand you're worried they'll be traumatized by something like that and leave, but I don't think they will leave. You're their home and source of food.
Unread 10-30-2014   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

catpanion is on a distinguished road
Default oral rabies vaccine for cats

There is an oral rabies vaccine for cats. They have used it in PA instead of just trapping and killing colonies that have been TNR'd and are being successfully maintained. I have no idea where you can purchase the oral rabies vaccine for cats. I am not sure that you can. I wish we could because imagine the lives we could save. Sadly, we don't have a government that views cats in a favorable way. Most consider them useless bird killing predators. Frankly, I consider most birds flying rats that destroy my property with their feces, but I know they srrve a purpose ecologically, and am also aware that cats kill less birds than vehicles, power lines and children with a gun. But, this is the east and Midwest area so you can't expect intelligence from the locals.

Tags
animal , birds , care , cat , catching , cats , children , food , found , hey , home , homeless , house , kitties , rabies , save , spayed , strays , vaccine , vet , wild

Sponsored Cat Links