It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-07-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

sachicat is on a distinguished road
Unhappy cat from a cage...

meow and gidday to all you cat lovers. i'm hoping someone might have some advice for me? i have just rescued a cat, a former stud cat from a breeder. he's a beautiful siamese. he's just under two years old, and all his live he's lived in a cage. a large cage, but still, a cage. he's never been socialized. he's obviously never been petted, or cuddled, or treated like anything other than a sperm donor. i thought i was doing a good thing by adopting him. i'm not so sure now. he spent two weeks in the house, hiding behind the TV cabinet (see attached photo of him in his hiding place) he only came out late at night to eat and use the litter box. and, to spray everything in the house, even though he's been desexed. we tried feliway, it made no difference. since he was making our home smell horrible, my husband and i finally had to catch him, which was very traumatic for the cat, and for us, and now he's back in a cage. a large cage, 3' x 6', and 6' tall, with shelves, scratching post, box to hid in, cozy bed, all the comforts we could think of, but it's still a cage. i'm afraid he'll never become socialized this way. he already seems more comfortable in the cage, probably since that's what he's always been used to. we're hoping that in time, when he sees one of us bringing his food everyday, and talking to him, that he may trust us. we have two other cats, who would love to be friends with him, but he's lived a lonely, miserable life. if anyone has any suggestions or ideas of how we might win his trust, please post, any ideas will be greatly appreciated. we'd love for him to be part of the family. purrrrrr, and thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yuuki.jpg (96.4 KB, 10 views)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 12-10-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

He's a beautiful cat! What an awful time the poor thing has had. I'm so glad you & your husband have given him a loving, caring home.
I hope that he just needs time to adjust to his new home & family. I would think that he's 'marking' as your house smells unfamiliar, he's feeling stressed & he's trying to mark his new territory.
Are you able to put him in a room on his own until he settles in & gets used to his new surroundings?
I'm sorry if none of this is any help and I hope that with your care, time and patience he settles in to his new home.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 12-10-2009   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

hi helen,
thanks for your reply. sadly, we don't really have a room in the house that we can put him in. our house is very small, and the only room that suits is the lounge room, where he was spraying and he was very stressed. he'd never lived in a home before, only in a cage outside, and i think having him in the house was very stressful for him. he's calmed down a bit, in his 2 sq meter cage, which has now been expanded to twice the size. he spends most of his time in his little safe haven, the box with the bed inside. he only comes out after dark, to eat and use his litter pan. i have started sitting in a chair just outside his space, where he can see me, and just quietly talking to him, making little meowing and chirping sounds, and hoping in time he'll trust me. when i approach him, or put my hand up towards him, he hisses at me, so he's not ready yet.

don't be sorry, thank you so much for caring enough to reply to my post! any ideas are appreciated. i'll post again if i have any news.

cheers, rose
Unread 12-15-2009   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

Wink success at last!

hooray, yahoo, he let me pet him! he still hisses everytime i go in to see him, but once i start petting him, and tickling him under his chin and behind his ears, he purrrrrs like crazy. i just decided not to take no (hiss) for an answer! he's still very reclusive, i still have a long road to travel, but at least i've broken the ice. new photo attached. thanks for the support and encouragement!! xox
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yuuki2.jpg (86.3 KB, 8 views)
Unread 12-15-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

That's such good news!
He is such a handsome boy, I'm so pleased he's starting to settle in and trust you. I bet it's not long before he's ruling the house! It must be so rewarding that all your patience is beginning to pay off!
Unread 02-01-2010   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

Thumbs up yuuki news

hi there, hallan, update on yuuki! things were excellent, after two weeks of friendly visits in his cage i left the door open, so he could go out to explore. he went in, and out, a few times, and he was all happy. then, he disappeared....and was gone about a week! i thought he was gone for good, but i kept putting his food out. then, 2 days after Christmas, he reappeared. thin as a rake, and ravenous. he quickly put the weight back on, and he's just fine. he's my best friend now, and he comes and goes as he pleases. throughout the day, and always around dinnertime, you can find him in his aviary, usually lounging in one of his little beds. he doesn't mix with the other two cats much, but at least they don't fight. i can't wait for the day they all sit out in the sun together. thanks for your support! rose xox
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yuuki's face.jpg (89.0 KB, 4 views)
Unread 02-02-2010   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cool
AK49BWL is on a distinguished road

Such beautiful eyes... Pretty kitty
Unread 02-03-2010   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Hi Rose,
Thanks for the update. I'm so pleased for you & Yuuki!!!
Unread 02-03-2010   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
maggiemay is on a distinguished road

What a stunning cat! I am so glad you decided to adopt him, he will eventually settle down and become friends with your other cats.
Former mom to: Rosie, Tigger, Samson, Smokey, Maggiemay, Tasha, Abby, Coco, SmokeyJr, Merlin, and Merlin Jr, Gracie, and Samson Jr, I left you all in Canada with the exception of Rosie and Tigger who I know are no longer with us! I hope that you are all happy, and I'm sorry I couldn't bring you with me!
Unread 02-04-2010   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Busy
mj29 is on a distinguished road

Glad things are working out for you. His face and eyes made my heart melt. He is so handsome. I think that you'll be surprised at how he finally gets on with the others. Zipper still hisses at the "boys" but not as much and she seems to want to play with them more often. Time is a great thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

M.J. Zipper Darby and Liam
A Cat's eyes are windows enabling us to see into another world. Irish legend

A cat has absolute emotional honesty. Human beings, for one reason or another, may hide their feelings, but a cat does not. Ernest Hemingway

There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

R.I.P. sisters Sasha and Jasmine, Lucky, Mr.Sim, my sweet boy Oscar!

Tags
advice , art , beautiful , beds , box , boy , breeder , care , cat , cat lovers , cats , crazy , desexed , eyes , family , fight , food , friendly , friends , great , hey , hiding , home , house , kitty , litter , litter box , lovers , loving , meow , meowing , new home , night , pet , play , scratching , siamese , small , smell , suggestions , travel , weight

Sponsored Cat Links