It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-06-2010   #1 (permalink)
Dez
Newborn

My Mood: Stressed
Dez is on a distinguished road
Default Neighbors dogs attacking cats, what can I do?

Hi, I’m really new to all this, so forgive me if I’m not that great at the whole forum thing. I come from a really small town where computers where sort of unheard of and the internet was even more so. I’ve posted this on a couple other forums because I really need advice. I started taking care of strays and feral cats around five years ago when this wild cat now named Hendrix showed up on our door step half starved. We had two indoor cats at the time so I just took him some food and water, he really didn’t want anything to do with me, but ate the food nevertheless. That was five years ago, now I roughly have 24 give or take, and Hendrix is no longer wild but actually a very sweet cat. And a lot of them are. Some are feral, some wild, others, loving little kitties. Here in lies the problem. My husband and I live in the city of Rockwood, and none of my neighbors keep their dogs on a leash. I have had to tranquilize a few of the cats to get them to a vet for treatment after my neighbor’s dogs have attacked them. My neighbors will not listen to me about their dogs, and even though they are just Chiwawa’s they can do some damage let me tell you. One cat I named Teddy, he had a flap of skin hanging off on his front right leg where one got a hold of him even with stitches and antibiotics it still got badly infected. After that my husband and I built a fenced in 20” X 24” deck for the cat’s safety. So they can eat, and stay out of the hot sun. They even have a misting fan and umbrellas out there for them. I have four indoor cats now and the idea of them being hurt like that. Well it scares me quite frankly. These outdoor cats just got a raw deal in life. But I do the best we can, I pay to have them neutered, spayed, and I have nearly my own pet pharmacy thanks to my Vet, he’s been just a wonderful help with us, they get their shots and everything, but my question is, how do I prevent them from being attacked? I’ve called our local humane society, they say call the police, the police say call the humane society. No one will listen to me. I’ve been run around in circles, and I probably sound like a crazy backwater country girl, but I don’t want them to suffer, let alone get hurt because of my ineptitude at dealing with this situation. If there is something I can do to help them then I’ll do it. I take the necessary steps to ensure the safety of my babies. That’s what they all are to me. They are extended family. My entire back yard is fenced in for the safety of my dogs when they are out side. My house is cat proof so they can’t hurt themselves, and all our furniture has been converted for the safety and lavishness of our indoor babies. They have everything from six cat trees that reach floor to ceiling, catwalks, cat genies, and window perches, to the heated pet beds and pet fountains. However, these outdoor cats don’t have the luxury of being indoors and pampered like that but I keep them in good health. They receive plenty of food, shelter and vet care. I take care of them just as I do my own kitties. I just don’t know what else to do about the dog attacks though. Tonight, one named Sonny was attacked under our deck. He was bitten several times; his back and legs have puncture wounds. He’s a very sweet, very loving kitty, so I’ll easily be able to take him to the Vet in the morning when they all show up for breakfast. They are safe on the deck, I designed it for that purpose in mind, but because of the noise the dogs make, some of them scare and run, then get attacked in the process. I’m afraid they could even kill some of the smaller ones. I have one set of feral twins, named AC and DC, their personalities are polar opposites, one loving, one will take your arm off if given the chance, they are brothers, and only five months old. They are small enough that I really believe these dogs could kill them if they get a hold of them. If anyone has any advice I’d love to hear it. I’m tired of feeling like there nothing I can do except treat aftermath. Thank you to all who take the time to read this and reply.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 11-07-2010   #2 (permalink)
Newborn

catslover is on a distinguished road

Dear Dez:

I just became member to this forum and when I saw your post I wanted to answer.
You got a big problem which it has not been properly addressed.
You built fences to protect your property and YOUR cats against the invasion and attack from neighbors dogs, but it has not worked.
I want you to know that since neighbors allow their animals to roam YOUR property and cause damage to the cats that are ON YOUR property, those neighbors are openly violating the law: you have property rights, and your cats ( they are seen by law as personal property ) are being attacked by those dogs.
You have RIGHTS and you got to protect your property and your babies as you call your loved cats. This is of no use to call the police on the phone, or to talk with the neighbors since they disregard your requests to have the dogs restrained.
GO to police station and file a formal report against those neighbors - for allowing their dogs to invade YOUR PRIVATE PROPERTY and for their dogs attacking YOUR CATS while on your property. Ask to the police what they will do about it, when they will go to those neighbors' house to make them aware of your complaint.
Have a copy of your complaint. Give them two weeks to see what happens.
If it doesn't work, go with your police complaint paper to the court, and ask the clerk you want to file a restraining order AGAINST your neighbors, and you explain that they allow THEIR DOGS to trespass your property and the dogs attack your cats. You can sue the neighbors, and ask the court for damages : VETERINARY EXPENSES for the damages their dogs caused to YOUR CATS.
Don't suffer in silence, you have RIGHTS, and the law is on your side. Install a camera on your property to tape those dogs entering the premises, or take PICTURES of them on your property to DOCUMENT it. Defend your property and your cats, nobody has a right to invade others property, by allowing unrestrained dogs to kill, hurt innocent animals living in your home.
Good luck !
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to catslover For This Useful Post:
Unread 11-07-2010   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Bashful
Jim F is on a distinguished road

Very well said, Catslover. I do believe that is some very sound advice. I hope you get this resolved without any more kitties getting hurt.
Unread 11-10-2010   #4 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

Wow, that was excellent advice--I never would have thought that the strays are considered "hers", but that makes so much sense.
Anyway, thank you for being so caring to these wonderful furbabies and let us know what heppens. Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Unread 03-17-2011   #5 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Cool
kskat is on a distinguished road

I wish I had found this place sooner and had been here to respond faster. The advice I saw was great, unless the town has a limit to how many cats/pets you are allowed to have. If that is an issue I would simply take the dogs to the local shelter and turn them in as strays. Maybe after the owner(s) have to pay a fine or two to get their dogs back they won't let them run loose!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
advice , antibiotics , attack , attacking , babies , beds , care , cats , crazy , dogs , feral , food , fur , furniture , girl , health , hey , home , house , hurt , indoor , internet , kitties , kitty , love , loving , morning , outdoor , pet , problem , question , raw , shelter , small , spayed , stitches , strays , water , wild , window

Sponsored Cat Links