It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-01-2010   #11 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Bashful
Jim F is on a distinguished road

Hi Aunt Kitty, thanks for the information. Feline Friendz in Omaha is 408 miles from us here, do you think they would go that far? I'm going to call them when I get back home and ask. The other place is over 500 miles from us, won't hurt to give them a call though, never know unless you ask. We are pretty isolated here, I think there is a Petco in Rapid City South Dakota, it's only 125 miles or so from us. It would be nice to have some help but I think we are probably going to have to get the T.N.R. ourselves. We have got a few done and a bunch to go.
Putting something over the trap is a good idea, I think as long as the cat can see out it's going to take a run at getting out, only to hit the wires of the trap. I've been to several web sites and have got a lot of good information on trapping. I will keep you posted. The kittens are back to running around like wildcats, they must be feeling better. I posted a picture of them and a couple of the outdoor cats that were tamed and brought in. Thank all of you again for the advice and encouragement.
Jim
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 11-01-2010   #12 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

I'm so glad the kittens are improving Jim, I've just seen the pics of them and Scamp, adorable - thanks for sharing

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 03-17-2011   #13 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Update

Hi All, haven't been here for quite some time, it's not that I have so many things to do, just slow, very slow, doing the few things I have to do. There has been some progress in the effort to control the cat population by getting them trapped or grabbed (with thick gloves) while they were busy eating.
The sad news is that one of the kittens from late last summer, Smudge, died last fall as did two of the older young adults. Very sad. Not sure what happened, the kitten's had been to the vet a few times because they were sick and losing weight. Thought they were all getting better but found little Smudge one morning almost unable to stand, the vet couldn't save her. The remaining three are a joy to watch, they have grown into young adults but still play like kittens! Because we were able to handle them while still very young, they let us hold them and give them medicine or ear mite treatment without fighting us. They have had the trip to the vet, the two boys and one girl, to make sure they won't be adding to the population problem. I've just about lost count of how many others have been spayed or neutered. The problem now is trying to get the right cat caught in the trap. I think some of them have learned there is a free snack in there and who cares if the door springs shut. That dumb human will come along and let me out in a little while. I suppose we have got about eight or nine to the vet so far and though he's giving us a discount it still adds up rather quickly. Worth every penny though. We just need to get the last of the females caught and fixed before we end up with more to have to catch!
Jim
Unread 03-18-2011   #14 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hi Jim! Eight or nine done, WOW! Congratulations and well done, you are a real life HERO!

I'm sorry about the ones who died.

Thanks for keeping us updated.

How's Charley?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 03-18-2011   #15 (permalink)
Kitten

Thanks for the kind words, Gail. My wife has been a great help with this effort too.
Charley is well as are all the inside kitties (5) except for Raymond. Raymond, our oldest cat, has lost allot of weight and sometimes can't keep food down very well. We tried to get him switched over to canned food but he didn't much care for it. We have been feeding him beef, chicken and turkey baby food and he's made some gains. His fur is looking better and he might be gaining a little weight back. The vet sees nothing wrong with him, he's just getting old.
Jim
Unread 03-18-2011   #16 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I guess I meant the "you" to encompass both you and your wife.

Has Raymond had blood work? Cats don't die of "old age" you know, they die from diseases that come with age. He may have kidney failure and there is much that can be done to make him more comfortable.

Anyway, I didn't realize you had other house cats, I thought all your work was with the ferals. Double Heros, then.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 04-19-2012   #17 (permalink)
Kitten

It's been awhile since I've posted here but here's an update. I spent a lot of time last fall building a shelter for the outside cats. Most of them are descendents of feral cats that we got tamed while they were little. I have got most the cats caught and neutered or spayed, have a couple that are too smart (or at least, smarter then me) and I haven't been able to get them caught. One female (Kate) that we though was gone for good, hadn't seen her for six months, came back loaded with kittens. Her and the other mommy we can't seem to catch both had kittens Easter Sunday. Kate had her kittens in one of the two smaller kitty houses and the other, Abby, has her's in the new, big house. Kate took her kittens and left with them over night. All of them except one, that is. I looked in the kitty house yesterday morning and there was just the one kitten. I checked back in the evening and the kitten was still there, hadn't moved an inch all day. I got it out of the house and it was alive but it had one eye matted over with some kind of goop. We took it into the house and I cleaned it up and it looks like the right eye is gone. It was trying to nurse and we just happened to have some replacement milk for kittens and a little bottle and nipple. Bought them on a premonition earlier this week. The kitten doesn't want to drink from the bottle but we have got some milk down it with a small syringe. We'd take any advice offered on raising a one-eyed, feral, orphan, kitten. It's just opening it's eyes so it no where near being weened. Going to try to see a vet this morning but they are all real busy with cattle this time of year.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim F For This Useful Post:
Unread 04-19-2012   #18 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Oh, Jim, thank you for the update! I'm sorry you still have two females avoiding being caught and still making even more kittens for you to catch and spay and neuter. The mother obviously abandoned the little baby because of his illness.

I don't have any experience raising orphan newborns, but I'm sure you'll get some good help and advice at the vet. I'll be praying you can get those last two females trapped and spayed soon. And their offspring....sigh.

You guys are amazing. Is Raymond still hanging on?

please read this first
Unread 04-19-2012   #19 (permalink)
Kitten

After being with us for 18 years, Raymond is gone now. And it has left a big hole in our lives and our hearts. Also Charley got sick and it turned out to be a tumor in his bladder that the vet here could do nothing to fix, Charley wasn't all that old. It's been some tough times, I know you all have had them along with the good times.
I was wrong about the kitten having lost an eye, it's still there, was just covered with goop from the infection it has in it. The vet got it cleaned up and gave me some gel to put in the eye four times a day until the eye gets cleared up. He thinks it will be okay and the eye will get all well and will work just fine. It looks horrible, poor thing. We got it to drink the replacement milk from the syringe, in fact the little guy sucks on it hard enough we don't have to push the plunger. It goes down by it's self when the kitten starts nursing, pretty good suction for a tiny critter like that.
Abby, the cat I've been trying to catch to get to the vet is a problem, she won't go into the trap and she can bite through the thickest gloves I have (and right on through a fingernail, ouch!) when I tried to pick her up and get her in a carrier. One way or another, she is going to the vet as soon as the six new kittens she had are weened! I may have to slip her a sleepy-time pill from the vets. The cat I trapped yesterday is back home and the good news is that it was a boy, cheaper to have the work done for them! Seems like most are female, anyone know if there is a higher ratio of female to males in cat births?
I'll see about getting pictures of the kitty condo I built, pretty proud of it. Didn't turn out half bad considering how bad I suck at being a carpenter!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim F For This Useful Post:
Unread 04-19-2012   #20 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I'm so sorry to hear about Raymond and Charley. Raymond I kind of suspected, I knew he was sick two years ago, but I had to ask, and the losses hurt no matter how much they are expected. I lost my Tolly boy on November 29, 2011 to a fast growing cancer. From first symptom to the day I had to let him go was only 19 days.

Abby had six, oh my goodness. Now the kitten you've got inside is from the other feral Mama...Katie? And she took her other babies away. She may bring them back, once she is sure the one she abandoned is "gone".

But you saved him! And got another male neutered! You guys are incredible, and restore my faith in humanity.

please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 04-19-2012 at 10:39 PM.

Tags
adoption , advice , animal , antibiotics , art , bite , bladder , bowel , boy , car , cat , cats , clean , colony , cut , diarrhea , discount , dog , dogs , eating , eye , eyes , fashion , fast , feral , fever , fixed , found , girl , hey , home , house , hurt , internet , kittens , male , money , moving , neutering , nice , pee , pet , play , poop , problem , rescue , search , shelters , siblings , small , smart , socialize , spay/neuter , spayed , steroids , story , stray , travel , turkey , vet

Sponsored Cat Links