It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-11-2011   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Gina is on a distinguished road
Default Our Stray/Feral is sick - Help?

Hi! I'm new to the forum, and I was wondering if you all could help. My neighbor and I have been taking care of strays and abandoned cats for a few years now, and we've adopted 3 out so far. We've been caring for a stray/feral (we don't know which it is) since the summer. When we started, he was very thin and sickly and he was shacking up with an abandoned cat that was much more friendly to us. We cared for her until we were able to adopt her out to my aunt, but Boo (the stray/feral) is just too skittish and not going to be a house cat. Until we adopted his gf in December, he used to arrive promptly morning and night for breakfast and dinner. Once his gf was gone, Boo stuck around for a while, and had gotten very full and healthy looking. His fur was shiny and his weight was good (he does not let us touch him or even get too close). After a few weeks he stopped coming around and we assumed he'd either passed on or found a more reclusive safe house.

But he came back after a recent storm looking like crap. He's very very thin, gross fur, and his eyes are runnier than usual. His appetite has dropped dramatically just in the last week and he was sneezing and coughing this morning. We have a kitty shelter that he naps in but does not stay in overnight (except for once in a bad snow storm). We know he's sick but if we trap him and bring him to a shelter we know they will just put him down, as we've already been warned. We would love to heal him up, but he probably needs antibiotics, which we don't have. Here's my questions:

-Should we bother trying to trap him?

-Is there any over the counter stuff we can give him that's safe and make him feel better at least? We obviously can't cure him without proper meds.

-Anyone know of some home remedies that have worked for their strays? Or do you know of any food he won't be able to resist (so we can make sure he will eat something)?

Any advice or guidance is more than appreciated. We just want our little Boo to have a decent quality of life whether he lives on for days, months or years. He trusts us enough to come back to us in bad times, so we know he's comfortable with us. And we've accepted that he's feral enough that we'd never be able to tame him and take him in. We just want him to be comfy.

Thanks!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-15-2011   #2 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Cool
kskat is on a distinguished road

Bless you for all of your efforts for the cats! Are there any low cost clinics in your area? Do you have a good standing relationship with your vet? I'm very lucky to have a vet that will give me antibiotics just because I need them. He knows how I am with my clan of cats!
The best thing would be if you could trap him, get him treated and then release him back at your place. I have my own traps for my TNR and now have 15 "kids".
Is he still there?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to kskat For This Useful Post:
Unread 03-16-2011   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome to the forum, and thank you for caring for these cats. Something clearly needs to be done, if what he has is contagious he could infect the entire colony. I know you care deeply about him.

I agree with kskat that taking him to a vet rather than the shelter is the way to go. If you don't have a regular vet call around and find out if any of the vets in the area are skilled in treating feral cats.

Many clinics have a TNR (trap neuter return) program, so they are skilled in treating feral cats.

The only thing I could recommend from home is adding l-lysine to his food every day. This will help boost his immune system.

Bottom line is, euthanasia would be better than a slow death out in the cold. Poor boy, he's lucky he has you and your neighbor to care about him.

Please keep us posted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 04-07-2011   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

Gina is on a distinguished road

I'm so sorry for the delayed reply; we've had some family drama that needed to be sorted out but I didn't forget about you guys.

Thank you both for the suggestions and help. He's doing much better and I wanted to let you know what we did in case it might help someone else in a similar situation.

We did not have that kind of relationship with either of our personal vets (ironically we both want new ones in the near future) and the local clinics made it clear they would euthanize him rather than treat. Sad, right? We've tried to reach out to rescue groups but they are usually inundated. So, we got creative. I scoured my house for antibiotics unused from my own dog, and I found ones that I looked up. I had to make sure they would actually work. Luckily they were broad spectrum antibiotics and are used to treat upper respiratory infections in pets. We crushed up at least one a day and put it in his food, which he totally sniffed out but he was still hungry and ate some of it anyway most days. Within about a week he improved. His coat got better, he took longer naps in the cat condo we made for him and he started to bulk up more. His snots and coughing are gone but he still has a little of a chest rattle. Meanwhile, my neighbor met a vet tech that has given us lots of help, so we are starting him on a decongestant this week.

I know that peaceful death is better than withering away, but he trusts us enough to allow us to help him when he feels he needs it, and I wanted to give a shot at getting better first. Provided he stays on this path of improvement, we'll let him be. If not, we'll start looking at other options.

I am going to get some of that l-lysine for his food, because it can't hurt and even if he passes my neighbors cats are both rescues with F-HIV, so they could use it too.

Thanks for all your help! I'll keep you updated in anything changes.
Unread 04-07-2011   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

HI Gina, thank you for the update, I'm glad he's doing better. Hope no one else in the colony is getting sick. The l-lysine will help boost the immune systems. Bless you and your neighbor for caring, and the vet tech who has gotten involved too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 04-07-2011   #6 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Cool
kskat is on a distinguished road

I'm so very glad that everything is looking up for your "friend"! I get kind of scared at hit-and-miss antibiotic use, not able to be sure the animal gets the correct dosage. That can kill off the weaker bugs and leave the stronger bugs, ending up with antibiotic resistant infections. You were in a position that required creativity and you did good!
Does the vet tech work for a good vet, or know of good ones?
Please do look for low-cost spay/neuter clinics and get the poor boy fixed and vaccinated. He will be way safer without the testosterone!!

The Following User Says Thank You to kskat For This Useful Post:

Tags
adopted , advice , antibiotic , antibiotics , boy , care , cat , cats , eyes , feral , food , found , friendly , fur , healthy , hey , home , house , hurt , kitty , love , lucky , morning , night , scared , shelter , sick , spay/neuter , stray , strays , vet , weight

Sponsored Cat Links