It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-29-2009   #1 (permalink)
eeyorejen

Question How big is too big?

My kitten is getting really big. How do you know what is naturally big for a cat and what is too big......?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-29-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Cool

I know that Maine Coons are one of the largest breeds of domestic cat. Males can weigh anywhere between 13 and 18 lb (5.9 and 8.2 kg) with females weighing between 8 and 12 lb (3.6 and 5.4 kg). The height of adults can vary between 10 and 16 in (25 and 41 cm) and they can reach a length of up to 40 in (100 cm), including the tail, which can reach lengths of up to 14 in (36 cm) and is long, tapering, and heavily furred. The body is solid and muscular, which is necessary for supporting their own weight, and the chest is broad. Maine Coons possess a rectangular body shape and are slow to physically mature; their full potential size is normally not reached until they are around three- or four-years-old.

A Maine Coon pic:

Is your cat THAT big??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)

Last edited by krzekmaya; 01-29-2009 at 05:11 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to krzekmaya For This Useful Post:
Unread 01-29-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hi! How old is your kitten?

Male or female?

Spayed/neutered?

What do you mean by big? Larger, or fatter?

Your vet can tell you if kitten is getting too heavy for his/her size.

Cats can continue to grow until they are about 3 years old. By one year old they've gotten past all the crucial growing stages, but will continue to fill out over the next one or two years.

The "average" (if there is such a thing when discussing cats!) weight for a cat is around 9 pounds. I have three 9 pound cats and each is a very different size and build.

My Red boy Tolly, 9 1/2 years old is very long and thin, but he's all muscle.

Mazy cat, 4 1/2 years old, tends to chub, even though she never stops running all day long. She has had (what I call) an "udder" since I adopted her from the shelter at six months old. (It's really called a "fat pad" but sure looks like an udder to me, hehe) She is not as long as Tolly, and maybe a bit shorter.

Jennie girl, almost 3 years old (estimate) also weighs nine pounds. However she was about 1 1/2 when I rescued her and when I had her spayed, vet said she thought Jennie had had probably three litters of kittens in her short life (judging by the state of her uterus) Jennie is as long as Tolly, but shorter than both him and Mazy, and has a funny pot bellly from carrying all those litters of kittens.

And yet, they all weigh nine pounds!

(I do not free feed, but that's another story)

Ootay, my little old lady, weighs only 4.5 pounds now. Her healthy weight was 6.5, she's always been a tiny cat.
Unread 01-30-2009   #4 (permalink)
draconvarie

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzekmaya View Post
I know that Maine Coons are one of the largest breeds of domestic cat. Males can weigh anywhere between 13 and 18 lb (5.9 and 8.2 kg) with females weighing between 8 and 12 lb (3.6 and 5.4 kg). The height of adults can vary between 10 and 16 in (25 and 41 cm) and they can reach a length of up to 40 in (100 cm), including the tail, which can reach lengths of up to 14 in (36 cm) and is long, tapering, and heavily furred. The body is solid and muscular, which is necessary for supporting their own weight, and the chest is broad. Maine Coons possess a rectangular body shape and are slow to physically mature; their full potential size is normally not reached until they are around three- or four-years-old.

Is your cat THAT big??
My word! That Maine Coon cat is huge. I love big cats.

Unread 01-31-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Yes, indeed, Maine Coons are large cats. I saw many of them personally & I assure you they are the large of a medium sized dog+, I was very impressed. A friend of mine is a breeder, they are adorable
www.coffecoon.com

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 02-09-2009   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

Mark_stimpo is on a distinguished road

u can tell if your cats to big, cats mare slim animals they do a lot of moving so need to be trim.
Unread 01-14-2014   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Happy
Pita-Cat is on a distinguished road
Send a message via twitter to Pita-Cat

Some cat breeds are larger than others...such as the Maine Coon...but, no matter what kind of breed your cat is...you should always pay close attention to your cat's weight...overweight/obese cats can develop several health issues.

We love cats! Get a copy of Pita Cat's Free eBook Today -
Unread 02-21-2017   #8 (permalink)
Newborn

CreamHeroes is on a distinguished road

So how big has grown up your cat?
Unread 02-26-2017   #9 (permalink)
Newborn

Anek is on a distinguished road

It's never too big.
Unread 02-27-2017   #10 (permalink)
Newborn

RandyMiller is on a distinguished road

What breed is you cat? Did you consult the vet?

Tags
adopted , adorable , blog , boy , breeder , breeds , cat , cats , dog , female , free , fun , funny , girl , healthy , hey , kitten , kittens , love , maine coon cat , moving , overweight , shelter , story , vet , weight

Sponsored Cat Links