It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-21-2009   #1 (permalink)
HandR

Default Do you Think He's OK?

I'm a bit worried about Phantom, hes on the pouches of kitten food and it says to give him 1 1/2 to 2 pouches a day, we changed from Whiskas (which he was eating about 1 pouch a day) to Felix and since then he's been eating like hes starved.
Since yesterday he has been eating so much, so far this morning he's had 1 pouch already and that was by about 9.30am so according to their guidelines he can only have one more and he's already asking for more food. I've tried to give him dried food to keep him going but he doesn't want it he just keeps going to the box of pouches.

Is this normal? Do you think he's just growing and thats why he's eating so much or is there something wrong with him?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-21-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

Hollie, don't be worried. Give him all what he wants, don't forget he's growing. I never fed my kittens according the guidelines but their stomachs, lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 06-21-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

Since he doesn't want the dry food, then there is nothing to worry about. He's like a kid after candy. I'd be careful not to give him too much though. They might get a bit flabby in the future or maybe they will turn out controlling what kind of food they want. You should always insist on the most nutritional food He's still little, but if you want to control wether he's overweight or not in the future, you should always be able to feel his spine under a layer of flesh.

My cat used to do something similar, only it was dry food. I fed her half of her daily amount and she ate all at once, then she started begging for more if I was nearby. I was insistent and then I fed her more a few hours later. I usually divide her food better throughout the day now. Like 1/4 in the morning, then 1/4 in noon time, 1/4 in the afternoon and 1/4 in the evening. Sometimes I give her half of her amount in the morning, because I know I will be away most of the day.

Maybe you should give him some small treats as well. I have some kitty treats I give her everyday as well. Just read the package on how much you should give. Coz my sister gave her more than that and she ended up with an upset stomach, hehe.
Unread 06-21-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandR View Post
I'm a bit worried about Phantom, hes on the pouches of kitten food and it says to give him 1 1/2 to 2 pouches a day, we changed from Whiskas (which he was eating about 1 pouch a day) to Felix and since then he's been eating like hes starved.
Since yesterday he has been eating so much, so far this morning he's had 1 pouch already and that was by about 9.30am so according to their guidelines he can only have one more and he's already asking for more food. I've tried to give him dried food to keep him going but he doesn't want it he just keeps going to the box of pouches.

Is this normal? Do you think he's just growing and thats why he's eating so much or is there something wrong with him?
A growing kitten tends to eat more. It's good that Phantom has good appetite, though.
But, I also agree that you need to see if this kitten is the type of kitty who can control himself or not. If not, then it's better you do the controlling, like what Katrine said. Always check his spine. Earl Blue is the one I have to help with scheduled and controlled amount feeding. I also help him exercise (he's a bit lazy). The other two are just fine, with very good self control and exercise.

Unread 06-22-2009   #5 (permalink)
HandR

thank you everyone
I think some of it could be the fact that he doesn't really sit still...lol hes building up an appetite but we're making sure he doesn't have more than 2 pouches a day and he can just top up with the dried food if he needs to. He was ok with that yesterday so hopefully it'll sort itself out.

Unread 06-23-2009   #6 (permalink)
Top Cat

catlover83 is on a distinguished road

There's nothing to worry about. Phantomn's appetite is just normal, for a growing kitten like him. In fact, it's actually good that he's not a picky eater. He must be very active.
The night runs over him
like dark water

- Pablo Neruda

|

|
Unread 06-24-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

I understand what you are going through, my Cami is the same way! She wants ANYTHING but the dry stuff, she will actually stick her nose up at it Having her on a set feeding schedule is helping, yet she still sits by her bowl and meows for a bit throughout the day, hoping to get more of the "good" stuff!
Unread 06-24-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamiDante View Post
I understand what you are going through, my Cami is the same way! She wants ANYTHING but the dry stuff, she will actually stick her nose up at it Having her on a set feeding schedule is helping, yet she still sits by her bowl and meows for a bit throughout the day, hoping to get more of the "good" stuff!
You are a patient and a good meowmy!
Unread 06-24-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatrineA View Post
You are a patient and a good meowmy!
Aww, I try! It's hard not to give in and give my kits what they want. Same with the dog, I spoil my babies!
Unread 06-25-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamiDante View Post
Aww, I try! It's hard not to give in and give my kits what they want. Same with the dog, I spoil my babies!
We all try to spoil them, they deserve it!!

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)

Tags
animal , aww , babies , box , cat , changed , diet , dog , dry , dry food , eating , food , hey , kitten , kitten food , kittens , kitty , lazy , love , morning , natural , nose , overweight , raw , royal , small , turkey , type , upset , worry

Sponsored Cat Links