It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-16-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

manroot is on a distinguished road
Question A Question About the Claws...

Is it alright to use tranquilizers on my cats so I can clip their nails? If so, what do you recommend? If not, and you don't want to fight with them or let them grow (which I hear isn't healthy), how do you deal with this issue? This is the first time I've had my own cats. I have horrible memories of my dad being charged with the task of clipping my mom's cat's nails. The cat always acted like he was killing her, even though he did this regularly for years. Please help!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 09-16-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

No, it is not okay to use tranquilizers on your cats! Tranquilizers are very dangerous to use in cats.

Never use any medication on your cat unless it has been prescribed by her vet for that particular cat.

First get your cats used to having their paws touched. Every day at the same time get some kind of treat they like ready. then hold the kitty in your lap and press on each paw, gently, to extend the claws. Then give her (or him) a treat.

While you are doing it, take the opportunity to have a good look at the claws (once kitty allows you to hold the paw long enough) You will see the sharp part, and a pink area called the quick. You want to avoid clipping close to the quick.

Once they are used to this, next start trying to clip. Start with just one claw, if that is all kitty will allow, then give a treat. Keep going, even just one claw a day if you have to, until all front claws are trimmed.

Here's a tip on treats: I use a little mayonnaise. I put a small dot of mayonnaise on the kitty's nose/mouth and while she licks it off I snip the claws! After it's all over I give her a tiny bit more.

Buy a pair of clippers made specially for cats. You can also ask the vet tech at your vet to teach you how to do this, and there are teaching videos on line, let me see if I can get a link for you.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 09-16-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

here's an instruction video you might find helpful:

Play Entire Video | Partners in Animal Health
Unread 09-17-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

My cat doesn't like trimming her claws either, but I find it easier than grooming her. I just put her on her back and gently lock her with my legs. She tends to scream too, but it doesn't hurt as long as you are doing it right.

We're friends again after this and it doesn't take long for her to "recover"
Unread 09-17-2009   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

CanadianCat is on a distinguished road

I clipped Pippa’s claws for the first time a few days ago. I was extremely nervous and I’d never clipped before, our other cats have never needed it as they haven’t really been house cats. Anyway it went really well, I had been playing with her paws a lot though as someone had given me that advice. I didn’t do the back though as at the time I didn’t see any reason too. Maybe I should?

My goodness they grow quickly though! They are long and sharp again already. My little kit came with a file- do you file your cats claws after you clip? I was wondering if we were supposed to round them afterwards. I was really surprised to see that her claws are sharp and hooked again, after the clipping they were rather squared at the tips and you’d think they would stay squareish for quite a while.
Unread 09-17-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I don't file. Kittens' claws grow very fast. As the claws grow the the sheath comes off and the sharp new claw is there. That's one of the purposes of scratching, to remove the old sheathes. (other purposes of scratching are marking, and just plain Fun!)
Unread 09-17-2009   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

CanadianCat is on a distinguished road

That makes sense, thanks for the explanation. She's very good with her scratching, (so far ) But I suppose I should clip her frequently just so she is used to it.
Unread 09-17-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
Kittens' claws grow very fast.
Isn't that the truth! Cami's grow so fast I find myself clipping them once a week! She no longer minds, thank goodness. She just sits, I clip and we are done. She always gets treats after so I think she knows clipping=treats. Dante, on the other hand, still fights, but only when I am clipping his back paws. He doesn't need clips as often since he is almost always scratching on something!

Tags
advice , animal , cat , cats , claws , clip , clipping , clipping nails , fast , fight , fights , friends , fun , grooming , health , healthy , hey , house , hurt , kittens , kitty , nails , nervous , nose , play , playing , question , scratching , scream , small , tips , tranquilizers , vet , video , videos

Sponsored Cat Links