It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-17-2014   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Asleep
amberpep is on a distinguished road
Smile I've come to realize something ...

I've often heard people saying, "I'm a dog person," or "I'm a cat person." I thought they were a little off. I've had cats for 30 years, and 2 years ago I got a rescue dog ..... sweet little thing - a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. She and my kitty get along fine. But, through all this I realized that "I truly am a cat person." It's not that I don't love my little Cav., Molly, but there's just something about cats that grabs me. Now I know what people mean.

I am so longing to get another Abyssinian, but I can't right now. I've got the dog and Daisy, my Turkish Van, and my condo. only allows 2 pets, although I had 3 when Amber was alive. I keep an eye on the website of the Cattery where I got Amber to see what they have, and right now they have little blues that will be ready to go in another month. But, I just can't afford it. Amber was $600 and that was 12 years ago, so I can imagine what they are now. But I can dream and hold my Daisy ..... she's a real cuddler.

Thanks for listening.
abby
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-17-2014   #2 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Cheerful
BlackWolf65 is on a distinguished road

You know, on one hand I have a real soft spot for all animals - dogs, cats, horses - every non-human creature. The ones that truly touch my heart though - in the sense of wanting to share my life with them, care for them, be responsible for them - have always been and most likely always will be cats. I can't explain exactly why that is. I've lived with - and loved - a few dogs, but I never managed to bond with them in the same way that I have always bonded with cats.

I guess my point is that I really do understand your post. Sometimes, when the realization comes to us that we are really drawn to one certain species of animal, it can be like rediscovering yourself.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 01-17-2014   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

Smile

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. I, like you, love animals and hate to see them abused. Sometimes when I watch Animal Cops, I get absolutely furious at the way people treat their pets ..... they're not really pets as you and I would think of them. They're just "there." It's heartbreaking. My dog, Molly, was a breeding female at a puppy mill in PA, and when I rescued her, they "were done with her" and she was due to be shot! Her feet were all sore from the wire cage, she smelled bad even though the Rescue Group had bathed her, she was afraid of grass and people, and I had to teach her to go up and down the steps like a little child ..... it was pathetic. I know there are mills like this for kitties too and it makes me sick. I just want to take all those kitties home with me ....... obviously that's not possible.

But I do love the little furballs, their "voices" and the way they love to cuddle up in your lap to be warm.

abby
Unread 01-17-2014   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Cheerful
BlackWolf65 is on a distinguished road

I have a very hard time watching that show. I can't stand to see animal abuse. The enforcement officers who work in that field are true heroes.

My wife and I currently have three cats, Arlo, Pete, and Ginger, all rescues. I have such a soft spot for cats that my wife no longer allows me to go to the animal shelter unless I'm supervised! In the past, every time I went alone, I came home with a new addition to the family. Thankfully, our local shelter is a "no kill" shelter, so animals brought there can stay for however long it takes to find them homes.

Kudos to you for taking Molly in and giving her a loving home - more so considering that you're a cat person. The world would be a much better place if everyone understood that abusing animals is just morally wrong. That's pretty much a fantasy, though. We are the only species that routinely takes pleasure in harming other creatures - and we think of ourselves as "superior" to animals.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not a vegan or vegetarian. I eat meat, but I always do so with the full knowledge that an animal died so that I can eat, and I have nothing but deep respect for that animal. And I always know where the meat I buy comes from - local farmers who kill the animals as humanely as possible.

Forgive my sermonizing... Animals are a very passionate topic for me.

Last edited by BlackWolf65; 01-17-2014 at 02:38 PM.
Unread 01-06-2015   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

garrettmarvelwilson is on a distinguished road

There is actually something psychological to do with cats, you know that feeling you can't name when you see a cat? It's really weird, but a lot of cat people or even dog people have that.

It doesn't mean a cat person automatically hates dogs or vice versa it just means you prefer one more than another.
Unread 01-06-2015   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

Default ~ great to hear all this ~

Hi all .....
It is so good to hear that I'm not alone in my feelings about cats, and in fact all animals. I don't know if any of you have watched the programs on TV, "Alaska, The Last Frontier" .... I enjoy that show. They have to grow their own veggies, fish for dinner, and shoot deer, moose, or caribou to get them through the winters. Everytime they shoot an animal, they kneel down and thank the animal for giving its life so they can feed their family. I really love that.
I can't go to the Animal Rescue either, or I'd be liable to come home with another cat, or ..... maybe 2. I'm moving in late Spring, so maybe then???? Their faces and voices just absolutely get me.
Like I said, I'm so glad I'm not alone. I really cringe when I hear people who are "dog people" say things like "I hate cats .... they're sneaky." That upsets me.
amberpep
Unread 08-19-2015   #7 (permalink)
Banned
Cool Cat

andrewgrayson15 is on a distinguished road

The world would be a much better place if everyone understood that abusing cat behavior is just morally wrong. That's pretty much a fantasy, though. We are the only species that routinely takes pleasure in harming other creatures.
Unread 2 Weeks Ago   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

zzzsmokeyzzz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via twitter to zzzsmokeyzzz

Interesting! I've wondered that too

Tags
abyssinian , addition , animal , another cat , breeding , care , cat , cats , cuddler , dog , dogs , eye , family , fantasy , female , hey , home , homes , kitties , kitty , love , loving , moving , person , puppy , rescue , shelter , sick , vegetarian

Sponsored Cat Links